REMEMBER THE ALAMO ! March 6, 1836.

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by twobit, Mar 6, 2012.

1. twobit

twobit Active Member

On this day 176 years ago, a small band of Texans numbering less than 200, gave their life after "13 days of glory" at the Alamo in San Antonio against the Mexican army which numbered in the thousands.

As a fifth generation Texan, I pause to pay tribute to those brave souls that helped create Texas.

[​IMG]
  2. Willie

Willie Active Member

Amen. This point in time has been recreated so many times in Hollywood.......I remember as a little kid watching the version then and also seeing the latest offering,what a bunch of great movies. I have toured the Alamo also. It is so quiet inside I swear you can feel the ghosts of those brave men. To just stand where they stood and fought and died was a real moment for me. Gives me chills just thinking about it. Thanks twobit for pointing this out to us.
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Don't forget Davy Crockett and his 12 Tn Volunteers. It''s been written that Crockett and his Volunteers fought like Tigers on the Southwest wall.
    Approx 200 men against approx 5000 of Santa Anna's mexican army. Not very good odds but they held out for 13 days and the mexicans knew they had been in a fight. Their deaths were avenged a short time later.

Remember the Alamo !!
    Hero's one and all.
  4. twobit

twobit Active Member

We Texans do not forget Crockett or our other friends from TN. The town I grew up in (Grand Prairie TX) had all it's elementary schools named after Alamo era Texas heroes. One of the schools was named Crockett Elementary. It was Davy after all that told the TN politcians "You may all go to hell, I shall go to Texas".