Remember when when Puff was a REAL dragon ???

Discussion in 'Vietnam Memories Photo Album' started by Jay, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Jay

Jay Active Member

Puff the Magic Dragon....... Viet Nam 1968 Full auto at its best at over 3000 rounds per minute. I took these photos just northwest of the KheSanh combat base. Remember, between every red dot are four more rounds that aren't tracers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Greetings Jay and thanks for sharing the Puff photos---I just copied them and now I can tell and show---used to tell what the sounds were like when the Dragon was working---we were almost neighbors in 68 if you were in Khe Sanh-- was with the Seabees at Dong Ha---only made it to KheSanh that one time---to Camp Carroll and the Rock Pile several. The M-1 carbine you showed Jay---used to carry one of those on watch down in the Philippines in the early 50's---we were down there building the Cubi Point Naval Air Station. Wilborn
  3. Jay

Jay Active Member

Hi Rooter,

Just got those pics and some others copied from slides. Sometime today, I'm gonna post the pic of one of the miniguns that's skid mounted on a Huey. You're welcome to that one too.

I was attached to 3/26 after I got to KheSanh. Got there by way of Quang Tri, Phu Bai, Dong Ha, then up the river thru Cam Lo, Camp Carroll, and finally past the pile.

Regards, Jay
  4. rooter

Did you look at the photos JD posted for me---there is a front view and a side few of the old C-47 with the mini-guns you can see--those photos were taken at DaNang in 69---the old French ammo dump that was supposed to have been cleaned up wasn't--one of our crew was in there laying concertina and when he jumped off the duece and ahalf a Bouncing Betty cut him clean in two---his name was Jones, and E-6 Builder---HospitalCorpsman Burden crawled into the field to render aid and picked up a Bronze for his efforts. Later. Chief
  5. Hope 69/70

Hope 69/70 New Member

Thank you Jay for the excellent post.

It is post such as yours that make this board.

BTW, Welcome Home!

Hope
  6. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Puff was a real dragon and he did have a roar! When those guns opened up it was a Great Roar!
  7. jerryd

jerryd Member

I remember the first time i saw one,only in country about 2 weeks in Pleiku awesome! Just before i left they had some Huey Cobras at Qui Nhon airport couldnt figure out what they were till we went to the APO to pick up the mail, think there were 6 of them NICE!!!! Smoked Charlies Butt!!!
  8. Salvage33

Salvage33 New Member

Shreveport, LA why leave the USA to visit a 3rd wo
    Awesome photo's. Only saw Puff work one time, Jan. 1966. We had taken time off for the Christmas/New Year's "holiday routine at sea" which only meant that we weren't flying SAR missions or "barrier" missions 24 hours a day. And we had declared a "cease fire"...of sorts. While we were praising the Lord, they were passing the ammunition. Highway 1 was bumper to bumper from Haiphong down to the Z and back. Looked like a dog tag chain on radar.

Anyway, we kept extending the "cease fire" and announced over AF Radio that it was likely we would extend it another 24 hours. At approximately 1600 hours of that day, all crews were briefed, tactical briefing, new ordnance, etc., and at 0000.01 some Dakota Lamp Lighters crossed the Z heading north and kept kicking out flares ever 1000 meters or so....lighting the way for the first wave of A-4's to go in and drop some nasty little 250# bombs. I think every plane in the arsenal was in the air at one time or another, as flight after flight after flight bombed the absolute living crap out of Hwy 1 for about 25 miles. Just before they broadcast a message for all aircraft to clear out to sea and take up marshalling positions, two or three flights of Marine Phantoms laid down about six miles of napalm, cleared out, then B-52's out of Guam and where ever else carpet bombed another 12 or 15 miles of the road.

Secondary explosions were almost constant, then just before dawn, Puff.. well, four or five of those magnificent ammo burners went up the length of bombed road and shot up everything within 300 meters either side of the highway. When daylight came, we did a photo recon to do bomb damage assessments and that part of the world looked like a moonscape. Nothing but charred earth and burnt out vehicles and lots and lots and lots of bomb craters.

It was very sobering and at the same time, extremely awesome.

John
  9. williamd

williamd New Member

Jay, fantastic. Saw one SE of Danang in 65-66. I was impressed. Then I was several miles for a B-52 strike somewhat later. Also, awesome from several miles! Impersonal, sure, but the ground got too personal at times. Have a neighbor that flew an A1 ... that was also personal as his pics show!
  10. sportster

sportster New Member

Here is one more picture of Puff getting a workout outside of Bien Hoa AB in 1966. I had to feed Puff!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  11. Nightrider2

Nightrider2 New Member

I was at Khe Sanh in 67-68 then went to Hill 881 South the day after Christmas, ended up being there for a long, long time. Puff spent a lot of time around our Hill, he rototilled the surrounding area on a regular basis, THANKS PUFF!! You probably helped make it possible for me to be here writing this, this Christmas.
  12. rooter

welcome on board, Rider....Chief
  13. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    Welcome to the forum Night rider.

LZ Sally was our base camp during Tet 68.
  14. JD

JD *VMBB Admin*

Welcome to the VMBB Nightrider2.
  15. junkman6970

junkman6970 New Member

I had seen its use at night on our mountain top in Dalat, II corp area on 11 Jun 1970 and it saved use from being overrun. Thanks all Vietnam Veterans. Us Army 1968-88,