Remington 1100 bolt not closing after dis/reassembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sfbrewguy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. sfbrewguy

sfbrewguy New Member

Hello all, new gun owner and relatively new to firearms here. I recently disassembled my Remington 1100 for cleaning. Disassembly was pretty straight forward and reassembly went smoothly with everything fitting back where it belongs, or so I thought.

To finish assembly I pulled the bolt back until it locked, then fitted the barrel, forestock and magazine bolt. When pressing the shell latch to release the bolt it does not slide all the way forward. Instead there is about a quarter inch gap between the front end of the bolt and the back of the barrel.

I've gone through the process a couple times to see if I was doing anything obviously wrong, but remained stuck on this problem. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. B27

B27 New Member

Are you sure you have your gas rings and gaskets in the correct order?

Also, the gas cylinder on this gun needs to be cleaned on the outside for the above to function correctly.

I hunted extensively with an 1100 for 15 years.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  3. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF.
    There could be a couple of things that are keeping the bolt from closing.
    Instead of trying to explane each one I would suggest you punch in Remington 1100 disassemble there is a couple of videos that show you how to strip and reassemble your gun follow them and you should be fine.
    Mike