1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Remington 1100 lW 40 blows out the primer

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by ChrisAsh, Jul 22, 2012.

1. ChrisAsh

ChrisAsh New Member

Good morning ladies and gents a request from over the pond in England

I have just brought a used Remington 1100 LW 410 and find that when fired the empty cartridge case is often minus its primer or in other instances the primer is nearly pulled out, this happens in about 5 out of 50-75 shots

I have replaced the o ring with a factory one and this improved slightly

I assume the reason is possibly either a weak spring allowing the block to move back to soon or exsessive back presure

Cartridges were a veriety of popular 410 loads in 2.5" length 14 gram nO 9'S (ENGLISH SIZE)

gave the gun a good clean, but have not touched either the magazine (seems strong spring) or the action spring (not sure how to remove it) Link spring looks OK

I would welcome any advice from you guys as not much help for this gun over here

Many Thanks

Chris
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Welcome chris. One thing to check for on the 1100 action is to make sure it is truly locked when its loaded. locking lug on the receiver may be worn or the bolt lock may be broken.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

That description sounds to me like excess headspace, which could be caused by wear on the locking lug or on the barrel extension. Or there could be something that gives the same symptoms, like a smaller or thinner rim than the gun is made for, allowing the shell to chamber deeper than it should, or very low pressure loads not pressing the shell back with enough force. AFAIK, the .410 1100 should work with both 2.5" and 3" shells, but possibly the gun needs set up for the lower power 2.5".

One source for help might be Remington's UK distributor, Edgar Brothers (www.edgar-brothers.co.uk)

Jim
  4. ChrisAsh

ChrisAsh New Member

Thanks I will check it out

early guns were 2.5 inch latter 3 inch but 3 inch i understand did not accept 2.5 or at least work properly with them; and 2.5 did not accept 3inch
  5. ChrisAsh

ChrisAsh New Member

Thanks checked out the locking lug looks ok thanks , Bu what part is the Bolt lock it does noot show on the Remington manual
  6. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Chris, the bolt lock is Part# 63 in the schematic. When the bolt is in battery, it's cammed up into a locking recess in the barrel tang extension. Shooting the gun with the magazine cap loose can damage these locking areas.
    The Remington 1100 series that shoot 3" magnums, have one gas port, and usually don't cycle shorter shells. The 2.75" chambered barrels have two gas ports to cycle the shorter shells.
    If all you have available is the 2.5" .410 shells, the single gas port can be opened up slightly to provide reliable function. The downside is, you can't shoot 3" after that modification has been done, or it will beat the action to pieces.

Schematic:
    http://stevespages.com/ipb-remington-1100.html
  7. ChrisAsh

ChrisAsh New Member

Thanks for the Help Trap, had a good look and the edge is straight and sharply cut so dont think thats the problem

The barrel is the two port model marked for 2.5 inch cartridges and I think about era 1990.

I still like the gun so think I will just work my way through the more obvious spares as most parts have probably had a hard life and could do with replacing
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Being sharp does not amount to much. If there is a gap between the lock and the lug then the space between the breech and bolt face is excessive. You either have excessive space in that area or the breech is opening too soon. The bolt lock must be fully engaged in the lug in the receiver or it can open too soon.