Remington 1100 question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by GunNut89, Mar 19, 2012.

1. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

my dad has a nice 1100 shotgun. it older but he has hardly put any rounds through it. my question is this. how often should the o-ring in the gas chamber be changed? i know it has never been changed and i have been told that it should be. can i pick one up at any gun shop?
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

No most gun shops would not have that O ring but almost any auto parts store will, just bring the old one broken or not with you. As for how often to change it depends on the condition of the old one. If it shows no signs of any cracking just use it.

I have had several 1100s' through the years and I don't ever remember having to change one.

Ron
  3. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I had to change mine once but that was because I cut it putting it back together.
  4. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Never had to change one!
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...(wish I owned one TO change!!)
  6. American Leader

Zane, they are just great. I call them my "never miss" shotguns! 12 ga. Ducks Unlimited model and 20 ga. model. Both beautifull and both smooth! Gonna pick up a .410 soon, can't wait!
  7. Zane71464

NICE AL!!!
    (beggi'n for pics):)
    I havent even held one for so long, I droool at the mention of'em!
    I've only shot the 12ga. 1100 and fell in love with it from the get-go, and
    I loved that high gloss finish!
  8. American Leader

Pic's in near future, must go to beddy by now. Maybe tomorrow. Sorry I mistreated you Zane, I just wasn't thinking. You could of bought one instead of your last AR though! Nighty Night!
  9. Zane71464

It's all good Bob, have a good one!

:yikes::thud::lmao:
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

We change them when we change out the piston due to corrosion, or if the gun is malfunctioning. If you go the auto-parts route, make sure you are NOT using the cheap Buna o-rings, they will deteriorate quickly.
  11. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

ok thanks Stone Chimney. i will have to get one
  12. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

Ostensibly, the Remington O-rings are graphite impregnated and designed for use in the harsh high temperature environment of the gas system. Appropriately sized high quality aftermarket O-rings will work, just not as long or as reliably as the Remington factory ones. The last time that I ordered O-rings from Remington's parts department I ordered several of them and they ended up costing under a buck each inclusive of the shipping and handling. The Remington graphite impregnated O-rings seem to offer the best long term reliability, so if that an issue for you they are probably worth the extra money.
  13. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

awesome info. thanks! i will get them ordered
  14. American Leader

Attached Files:

15. Airborne Falcon

Airborne Falcon New Member

I collect Sportsman 58s which, of course, are the forerunners to the 1100 that Remington quit making in '62 when they started with the 1100. Those rings need to be replaced once they are hard, black and brittle. Otherwise, as long as they are sealing well when the cap is screwed down, and as long as there are no big chunks missing ... you should be good to go.

When you do have to replace those seals they can be hard to come by. For years they were made from cork. Then they made them from an asbestos type material. Then they went to the rubber/graphite most commonly found now but the rubber/graphite does not last as long as the cork or the asbestos stuff.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012