Remington 1100 woe's

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Petey, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Petey

Petey New Member

We have a Remington 1100 that shoots short brass just fine, It will not extract and eject long brass. Does any one have a clue what is causing this problem.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

My guess is that your bushings are set up for light loads. With a heavy load the barrel is following the bolt all the way back, blocking the ability for it to extract and eject because it remains in the chamber the whole time. The proper bushings stop the barrel from following to much. Do you have the manual? You either need a different bushing or have the bushing you do have in a different position.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. Harleydog

Harleydog New Member

Petey; you could have a build up of plastic & other residue from the shorter base shells that causes the higher base to stick in the chamber when fired. Scrub the chamber out real well and see if that doesn't take care of your problem. Also steel base shells tend to stick more often than the brass ones so a change in ammo might help. (Helix FR would be on the right track for the Rem.11, a recoil operated gun, not the 1100 which is gas operated.)
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

aint ever had an 1100 to play with, but im thinking a worn extractor hook
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I forgot that was a gas gun, thanks HD for covering me on that.
  6. grampawmike

grampawmike New Member

As you can see, ask 5 people, and you'll get 5 different answers. But, that said, here's another POSSIBILITY. All of our shotgun extractors were (are) designed and made to fit the way shotgun shells WERE made. The rims were nice and square earlier on. Lately many of us that shoot trap have found that some guns have a problem extracting some shells, not from a bad extractor or other malfunction but from the shape of the rim on the current shotgun shells. Old shells are nice and square......the newer ones frequently have a definite angle where the extractor is supposed to grab it and extract said empty. PICS....An old Winchester & new Federal
    An old Winchester & new Remington
    Look at the rims. I personally expect that a good cleaning might help...including the gas port in the barrel, or change ammo. Mike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  7. Jim K

Jim K New Member

First, what is meant by "long brass", and how is the gun failing? The first Model 1100's were made for 2 3/4" shells and will jam if 3" are used, so that is the first thing I thought of.

Jim
  8. UHALL66

UHALL66 New Member

thank you for the help