remington 1858 delivered

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by sewerman, Dec 23, 2010.

1. sewerman

sewerman New Member

monday 20th the 1858 pietta remingtons that were ordered from cabela's were delivered.

4 were ordered two for a friend. packed & secured well they arrived unharmed.

i'm very impressed with the outward appearence of these firearms.
    the fit and finish is surperb rivaling anything i have encountered out of Italy.
    the actions are smooth & lock up good. grips are very nice figured wood.

though i haven't shot mine my friend has and states his shot point of aim but a little low at 20yds with 20grains FFFG & a .451 ball.

we will be using these this spring for CAS and hopefully a .454 ball & 25grains will bring up the POI.

btw the cabela's booklet suggest using a .451 ball. the pietta booklet suggest a .454

sewerman
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. 22shot

22shot New Member

sewerman

That is the neat thing about BP shooting; you can mess with all kinds of loads and bullets without presses; siezing dies; loaders; etc.
    Half the fun is working up a load that is best suited for you!

Have fun!
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

.451 or .454? I would think that a .451 is too small. I've always used a .454 round ball with the Remington reproductions. A slightly larger ball is not a problem. The ball is going to be "shaved" when you load it.
  4. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

So long as the ball shaves a complete ring when pressed into the cylinder, you are alright. If the .451 shaves a partial ring or a broken ring, switch to the larger ball.

Pops
  5. Gatofeo

Gatofeo New Member

Remote Utah desert, separated from Oblivion by a s
    Search my posts on the internet: "So you want a cap and ball revolver?" and "Proper use of a cap and ball revolver," posted under my nom de net, Gatofeo.
    They'll give you tons of info. They're long, so print them out for future reference.
    I thought they were a sticky in this section, but I don't see them.
    Anyway, I've been posting them for about 10 years, with occasional minor updates.
    Others have good advice too, but these will give you "one stop shopping."
  6. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I lke the Lee conical bullet that is made for the Remington. I pour these from pure lead.

RC
  7. sewerman

sewerman New Member

thanx will check it out...:)

S.M.
  8. tyc

tyc New Member

Thanks for that tip! Hadn't heard that before.

tyc