Remington 1858 Question

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by mikeb1, Jan 21, 2011.

1. mikeb1

mikeb1 New Member

Was planning on heading out this weekend and shoot my new Remington 1858. I was planning on starting with 20 grains of Triple 7 , .457 lead balls topped with some crisco. My main concern is knowing if the lead ball is pushed up against the powder sufficiently. I don't plan on using any fillers and have not been able to find any wads. Just want to get some opinions.

Thanks
  2. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Mikeb1,

When you pull the loading lever down to seat the ball, you should be able to feel the ball come up against the powder, Then stop. I don't think this will be a problem at all with as much powder as you are burning...

Hope this helps, Kirk
  3. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

The Remington clones typically use a .451 or .454 ball, the .457 is typically used in the Ruger Old Army.

Go make smoke and have fun.
  4. mikeb1

mikeb1 New Member

Do you think the .457 lead ball will cause a problem with the Remington ?
  5. Pustic

Pustic Member

It won't hurt the gun as long as you can seat the .457 ball properly. When you seat a ball, a small amount of lead should shave off, and it will size the ball to fit. If the larger ball won't seat, then use the .451 or the .454.:D
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. imray

imray New Member

the oversize ball will shear off a small ring of lead when you seat the ball, and as mentioned you will feel the ball seat. I use a little secret when I shoot my BP revolvers. I put in the powder then I put in 15 to 30 grains of cornmeal on top of the powder then seat the ball on top of the cornmeal, don;t have to grease the end of the cyl. and shooting is as safe as can be as long as you use the correct size cap, to prevent any trouble on that end of the cylinder. I can't afford the patches at .25 cents a peace. But $1 dollar cornmeal and iI can shoot many days, best wishes and have fun, don't allow any smoking around any black powder or substitute, and no drinking as guns and alcohol together is a felony. federal offense, best wishes, ray
  7. mikeb1

mikeb1 New Member

Thanks for the advice guys ! I'll let you know how everything went after I get back from the Range.

Mikeb1
  8. tyc

tyc New Member

I'm waiting for my .44 Remington to come in and never having had a BP pistol before, I thought I'd ask, what happens if you push the ball too hard against the powder load? It's that "feel the ball come up against the powder" you mentioned that has me curious. I'm thinking of the feel of the ball "shaving" itself, as it sizes itself into the chamber when being loaded, then my properly seating it against the powder.

tyc
  9. ofitg

ofitg New Member

When you press the ball into the chamber, you will see it move, and you will see the ring of lead at the chamber's mouth.

Keep pressing, and you will feel the ball "crunch" against the powder. Don't worry, you cannot compress the powder too much.

After you do it a couple of times, you will never worry about it again. It's the Zen of percussion revolvers. You just have to experience it.
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

you shouldnt need wads or grease to prevent chain fire if you're shaving lead when loading.
  11. tyc

tyc New Member

I think I understand ... just waiting for that Uberti to come in ... and Spring!

Thanks for getting back. :)

tyc
  12. mikeb1

mikeb1 New Member

Finally able to get to the range today. Everything worked great. Did have trouble with #11 caps they kept falling off. Luckily I also brought along some Remington #10 caps, they worked great no misfires. I kept it simple 20-25 grains of Triple7 seated the lead ball (.457) left a nice lead ring when I pushed it in. Sometimes I put some crisco on top other times left it dry. Did not think I really needed it everytime I shot. Can't wait to get back out there !!!

mikeb1