Remington 1858 real or replica??

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by chrisweber1978, Oct 21, 2010.

1. chrisweber1978

chrisweber1978 New Member

I recently inherited this 1858 remington and im trying to tell if it is real or a replica ?. can find any marks saying remington on top of barrel. There is a serial # 061373 on both the bottom of the stock and bottom of barrel. however it says (ball-accuracy) on bottom of barrel as well. Any info would be great like if its a replica who made it and possible value cause its in excellent condtion

Attached Files:

2. chrisweber1978

chrisweber1978 New Member

After a little research it looks like its a reproduction
    Gardone & Brescia
    Anyone know if it still has value?
  3. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

gardone and brescia are places not companies, perhaps made in one place and put together in the other ? my guess is and mind you this is just a guess uberti or pietta ???? leaning towards uberti
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It is a repro and not even a very good one, as the fitting of the barrel to the receiver is way off. I doubt Uberti had anything to do with that one.

Value? Whatever anyone will pay, with a guess at under $100.

Jim
  5. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Almost looks like a blank firing replica
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

i didn't notice the poor fit between the barrel and frame so i withdraw my lean towards uberti, and even peitta both make better quality firearms than that.... but since gardone and brescia are in italy that i'll stick with
  7. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I'd bet that this is one of the many Italian copies imported in the early 70s. They sold for about $75 back then. Good point made by Jim that the barrel fit is pretty off of what it should have been. Doubt this is a "blank' pistol. You could be pleasantly surprised to the accuracy potential, though, as a shooter. I built a "Remington" from a kit back then, and it would hit milk jugs at 25 yards with every shot. You might get $125 at a gun show for it, but they are fun to shoot (and a real pain to clean). Enjoy!

I need an education here. This is definately a replica. I know that rifles from the mid 1800s (Spingfield muskets, etc) were not serial numbered, but were original civil war Remington revolvers serial numbered? I believe that Colt's were.
  8. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Most quality and service revolvers of the CW period were numbered, but the cheap guns were usually not. Colts, Remingtons, Starrs, Coopers, S&W's, Savages, Metropolitans, etc., were all numbered. Even Confederate copies were numbered, though sometimes somewhat haphazardly.

Jim