Remington 1894 or 1905 12Ga SXS Side by Side shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Dr342, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Dr342

Dr342 New Member

I have what I think is a Remington 1894 or 1905 12Ga SXS Side by Side shotgun SN127XXX This was a garage sale find. I have the compete gun missing the barrels. Any idea where I can get the barrels and possibly a new stock for this gun. Thanks
  2. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

www.jackfirstgun.com
    www.gun-parts.com
    Maybe you had better find out exactly what you have before you start buying parts. Pics are very helpful.

I deleted your other post. We are short handed in this forum right now and things get a little behind. Please be patient and all questions will be answered. You don't have to post every other day. Thanks
  3. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

I was looking thru my 1964 Gun Traders Guide and the shotgun sold for $75.00.

I'll bet it's worth a lot more now. :D
  4. PetahW

PetahW New Member

There is nosuch 1905 Remington SxS shotgun.

Remington only made two hammerless boxlock shotguns around the turn of the 20th Century - The Model 1894, of which all grades had engraving (from very little to profuse), and the Model 1900, which was the economy version, and not engraved.

By a decade or two later, Remington was then making the Parker SxS, after taking over Parker Bros.

Stocks will generally have to be handmade and handfitted, and the availability of barrels is extremely spotty.
    IF a set of barrels could be found (they would also need to be fitted), you should first measure the distance between the firing pins to determing what the original gauge had been.

Either/both would be very expensive, compared to the guns value - unless it's a very high grade Model 1894 worth restoring.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  5. sparkes

sparkes New Member

Hi Dr342, I have a Remington Model1894, Damascus barrel, SXS serial 127XXX that belonged to my father. In a move I lost the forearm stock and in need of another. If you are interested in selling yours or any of the parts you have please let me know. Thanks
  6. 123lion

123lion New Member

i have the 1894 coach gun 12 g . in great shape for $1670.00 you could probly sell off the parts of yours for it.
  7. 1010TRAVIS

1010TRAVIS New Member

Hey, I have, what i thought was a model 1894, however according to your post, all the 1894's had some type of engraving. Mine has none. My serial number is 104xxx, with 28" barrels(not damascus), with auto ejectors. It has a sideways "P" and A1 underneath both barrels. could you please tell me something more about this? travis
  8. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

Both guns asked about are Models 1894 of course. Serial number 104XXX was made in 1895 and serial number 127XXX was made in 1904. There were 22 different models/grades of this gun. They varied in the amount of engraving, ejectors or extractors
    damascus barrels or steel barrels, eight of them came with steel barrels. Usually the grade was marked on the bottom of the barrel.
  9. doubleman7651

doubleman7651 New Member

I have a set of damascus barrels for the model 1900 and a set of steel barrels for a small frame model 1900. doubleman7651@hotmail.com
  10. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

Your serial number begins with 1XXXXX, a clear indicator that your gun is a Model 1894; and not a Model 1900, as the Model 1900 serials began at serial number 300000. The model 1894 came in these grades; A (no engraving), B, C, D, E, and Special; the Model 1900 was a cheaper version of the Model 1894, and was therefore always a plain gun. The model 1894 featured a Purdey style forend fastener/release mechanism, whereas the Model 1900 featured a snap on/off "J" spring fastener. You will need to know whether your gun has auto-ejectors, or extractors; but only a qualified double gunsmith can tell you if Model 1900 barrels/forend with interchange with a Model 1984 frame. From experience I can tell you that parts for these guns are tough to find; but if I were serious, I'd start by posting pics and your request on doublegunshop.com, as many double gunsmiths and collectors post there. I can also tell you that these old guns were hand-fitted; so seldom do parts interchange. You may wish to check Numrich for Model 1894 parts; and I would also search *** ******. Finally, $1600 for a parts gun is dreaming, as you can bet a "coach gun" is an old double on which some knucklehead hacked the barrels; the most valuable component of ANY vintage double gun. But if you check guns for sale on *** ****** you will find pristine Model 1894 A & B grade Rem Model 1894 guns for sale there at hundreds less. And for record, Remington never really made Parker guns; they bought the company, and the same guys that made Parker Brothers guns then made the Parker Gun. Remington did eventually move Parker gun manufacturing to Ilion, where production was quietly discontinued during WWII. I'm beginning to wonder is Remington is going to screw-up the Marlin gun too, as they seem to making and shipping nothing but crap since they relocated the gunworks to Ilion.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011