Remington 1911R1 Trigger Fit Question

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by jstanfield103, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

The only problem that I see that Remington let slip on the fit and finish of their R1 is the trigger slop. I Love my Remington and I am thinking of buying a SS model. The only thing that is not finished well is the trigger. Just sloppy. I am debating on changing the trigger to a Wilson short trigger. Just curious how every one else feels about the trigger. I looked a three different R1's before I bought mine and the trigger was the same on all three. When I say sloppy just moves up and down sloppy. Little pre travel but not to bad. Other than that it is a perfect fit and finish.
    What are others doing and Just any thoughts about it ?
  2. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

that seems pretty normal for a 1911 unless it's really bad. they do wiggle quite a bit normally.

Aftermarket triggers are pretty cheap, I like Wilson's stuff but there are lots of good ones. Most availbable in Brownells are good quality.

Pre-travel isn't a big ussue, just the overtravel; I dial it down until it won't engage and slowly work it out until it does. I go a little bit past that to ensure it goes bang but overtravel is about 1mm on my S.A., trigger wiggles all over but shoots beautiful.
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Too tight a trigger trac causes problems real quick. Soot from the ejecting chamber quickly stickys tight triggers. There is a fix, but tis not cheap. BRownells stocks a ball bearing trigger for competition, I do not remember the name of it, but it would cure the sloppy trigger feel and still allow a generous trac for reliable function.

As a long time 1911 shooter and enthusiast a little trigger slop doesnt bother me any at all.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

BTW, if you have large hands with long fingers better stick to the long trigger. If you want a shorty just because swap the MSH for an arched one. I prefer long triggers and arched MSHs, tho a hunting pistol, like my ol .460 build, was best with a short trigger to accommodate gloved fingers.
  5. jstanfield103

jstanfield103 New Member

JLA I thank you for the advice, I have a Wilson trigger in my Taurus that works really good. I also have very little hands, (I am 5'5" tall) so I do like the short triggers. Thanks again for the response and the advice.