The Firearms Forum banner

Remington 1917 enfield question

11K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Old Steve 
#1 ·
We're looking for a custom sporterized stock for a Remington 1917 enfield. We looked at Boyds stocks and the make one for the P17 enfield, is the 1917 and the P 17 the same gun or do you know of anyone who makes a sporterized stock for this gun. Thanks in advance

#5 ·
The British rifle was the P-14. I don't know if there ever really was a "P-17", but I've often heard "P-17" in reference to the U.S. model. When the U.S. Government adopted the Enfield design into the .30-06 U.S. Rifle Model of 1917, early production guns may have had various designating markings before the standardized "U.S. Model of 1917, Winchester or Remington or Eddystone, XXXXXXX" stampings were applied.

As far as a sporter stock for the Remington rifle that you have, be aware that many customized Enfields have had custom trigger guards (usually made from 1903 Springfield's guards), and that will be a first consderation in what style of stock you need. Most people wanting to sporterize their rifles didn't want the 'projecting belly" of the Enfield.

#6 · (Edited)
It is relatively straightforward to rework the trigger guard by cutting off the forward extension of the trigger guard ahead of the magazine surround and welding it back in line, at least I did it that way when I built a .264 Winmag sporter on a Winchester US1917 action. if gas torch welded with 4130 welding rod when finished the weld won't show any color difference, same for welding a different or reworked bolt handle. It is hard to find 4130 welding rod, but narrow strips from some .032 4130 sheet works fine and that is readily available from aircraft suppliers in small pieces by mail order.

I won't guarantee the Remington action is identical alloy to the Winchester, but it probably is, perhaps someone knows differently. The Eddystone's are different

The Dayton-Traister speedlock and trigger work very well on these rifles. I talked to them a few weeks ago, inquired whether their current production offers any improvement over the parts I bought in 1960, they said it's pretty much the same thing. It converts the action to cock-on-opening and greatly speeds the lock time, and their trigger works reliably at 1 lb. setting.

If I had known in 1958 what I have learned since, I would have bought the Remington rifle, because the receiver bridge doesn't require a plug. You could get an Eddystone for $24.95, $5 more would get your choice of Remington or Winchester. How times change. The barrel I got was pretty rough, led me to rebarrel it, and the .264 was the hot setup, it still is an excellent caliber, very good compromise between very long killing range on medium game and moderate recoil, but if you stay with a caliber that has the same head diameter as the -06, the magazine rework is much simpler

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.