Remington 22 cal model 5

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by vito, Jun 18, 2008.

1. vito

vito New Member

Hi. I would appreciate your appinions on Remington 22 cal model 5 rifle. Is there any chance it would make a good competition rifle and may be any comparison to CZ trainer or Winchester wildcat. Also heart about Ruger 10/22 autoloading rifle being OK.
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Vito...

If you are looking for a rifle to shoot in something like the sporter division of benchrest then I'd be more inclined to say you'd do much better with a CZ 452 American, 452 Varmit, or for a few dollars more the CZ 453 American or Varmit.

The CZ rifles are a little more refine and accurate than those made by Zestava, or the Russian made Winchester Wildcats.

If the price of the more expensive CZ's are an issue, than their Trainer model is also a good option. It comes with the best open iron sights I've ever had on a rimfire rifle, and the receiver is also grooved for mounting a scope.

Another rifle I think would be a better choice is the Savage Mk II line, they now all come with the new Savage Accu-Trigger, and their accuracy is impressive even with the cheaper grades of ammo.

If all you want is a casual plinker, the Remington Model 5, or the Winchester Wildcat would do you well, but for compition I doubt they would hold their ground against what other's would be shooting.....
  3. vito

vito New Member

Thanks so much for your reply. I didn't know that Remington 5 is a lower grade rifle than CZ. My intent is some kind of competitive shooting and this is going to be my first rifle. Prise is not an issue but to find a good accurate rifle capable of competitive shooting on 50 and 100 yards. Also I don't want to use scope, just iron sights, so CZ American is not an option, and being a NYC resident I cant get any rifle with magazine capacity more then 5 rounds:-(((((( so Marlin 39a, I was craving fore, is a dream!!!!
  4. nevadany

nevadany New Member

"I didn't know that Remington 5 is a lower grade rifle than CZ"

i wouldn't say its lower grade...it's actually pretty good quality, i would even say it's on par with the CZ452. The bluing and trigger is much better than on the CZ!

What the CZ has going for it is a time tested, superior design. The Zastava rifle closely resembles a Winchester 69A (which isn't bad!), but the CZ design is better.

So with that said, i do not own the Remington version, but the Charles Daly version (same rifle, differnt stock), and a CZ452 American and like both very much. I used to own a CZ 452 FS with the open sights, and i have to say they are excellent!

You would do good to get yourself a CZ 452 Lux or Trainer over the Remington Model Five

DW