1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Remington .22 CBee Ammo Review (.22 Pest Control BETTER than CCI)

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ponycar17, Mar 18, 2009.

1. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Yes, I know it's an ammo topic but folks in the .22 Rimfire forum often speak of CCI CB Short and Long ammo, and this is an alternative. Might I add, a dang good alternative!!!... :D

I bought some Remington .22 LR CBee HP ammo on the net and just received it today. I've already fired around 40 rounds to set up the scope and determine repeatability. I thought it was similar to CCI CB Longs but much more suitable for loading in normal .22 LR actions due to its normal length.

Unlike the .22 CB Long ammo, this ammo is a 33 gr. hollow point instead of a 29 gr. round nose like the CCI, and goes 740 FPS instead of 710 FPS. The new Remington ammo has a VERY wide hollow point cavity with pre-stressed marks in 4 places to promote expansion at low velocities.

Accuracy is on par, if not better than the CCI CB Longs. There were a few strays on paper due to slightly varying charges. I saw variances at 40 yards of +/- 2 inches with vertical point of impact due to some stray flyers. Most rounds were dead on. This tells me that Remington's manufacturing process likely has a bit more refining to be done. I have seen the same problem with CCI CB Longs.

This round really does deliver a lot of energy in a small area. I shot two 2-liter bottles full of water at 30 yards and was able to collect one good expanded hollow point round. The amazing thing is that this round is expanding fully at only 740 FPS. :eek:

I was firing the ammo out of a .22 LR Savage MK II bolt action rifle with about an 18" barrel if I recall correctly. It's topped off with a cheap 3-9x32mm Center Point Scope. I liked the Center Point on my air rifle well enough to buy one for my dedicated .22 CB shooter. :)

This Remington CBee ammo also loads easily in a bolt action .22 LR and you don't have the problem of rims stacking incorrectly like you do with a CCI CB Long due to the Remington CBee's correct length .22 LR body.

Anyway, I just thought you guys would like to know that there is an alternative to the CCI .22 CB Long and it's much better for feeding and terminal ballistics due to its consistent expansion (the CCI CB Long is a round nose with no expansion). The Remington round is marginally louder than the CCI round but it's negligible. My .177 pellet rifle at 1000 FPS is louder than the CCI CB round AND the CBee Remington round. :D

Attached are some hopefully helpful pictures of a box of CBees, an unfired round (notice the wide HP opening and four scouring points), and 2 pictures of a recovered round. Enjoy... ;)
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  2. sbkittrell

sbkittrell New Member

Cool! Thanks I'd never heard of these cb's until this post. I've gone .22 crazy lately and I tried cb's for the first time a few weeks ago. Shot out of my Westernfield BA, they are as quiet or quieter than my pellet gun. Kind of like a pellet gun on steroids. I wonder how the penetration of these hp's compares with the solids. With that extra 30 fps it's probably about the same. I was buying cb longs, but after I try these hp's I'm going to switch to cb shorts. They are the same muzzle velocity and I can use either in my rifle so I don't see the need to pay extra for the longs.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

I'm not sure about the penetration difference. Instinctively, I'd think the extra 30 FPS and 4 grains more lead would cause much more penetration but then it IS expanding so that may counteract the additional energy and momentum. It should have 23.6% more energy than the CCI CBs and 18.6% more momentum based on the different size and weight. It would be an interesting test to see which penetrates more. :D
  4. 5311940

5311940 New Member

Remington .22 ammo has always been dirty ammo. Does anyone know of a brand that will shoot cleaner?
  5. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Sadly, this is a unique offering. CCI was the only CB offering I knew about before these CBee22's. That's why I bought 1000 of them while I can get them. The CCI's only offer Longs and Shorts, and NO LR or hollow point ammo in the CB category. These Remingtons shouldn't be a huge problem with being dirty. They won't cycle in semi-autos where trash builds up to cause cycling problems and they don't contain much powder at all to achieve 740 FPS.

They're definitely a niche round. :)
  6. MAGNUM44

MAGNUM44 New Member

Does Remington still make the Yellow Jacket 22 LR ammo it's the next best thing to the CCI stinger ammo which is hard to find anywhere I want to use them in my Nylon 66 semo auto gun for rabbits, how about thoes sub sonic ammo are they just as good as the stinger ammo ?
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

yeller jackets are my favorite .22 hunting ammo magnum, And yes wally world still carries them.
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

subsonic is not even close in comparison to stingers. subsonic means velocity is below the speed of sound (roughly 1100 fps) so anything 1050 or less wont have a sonic crack to go along with the crack of the cartridge going off. really has no advantage to hunting unless you are useing a 'can'... CCI stingers are 36 gr plated HPs at 1600 fps, the only thing even close is the Rem. Yeller jackets at 1540 and winchester has reintroduced its velocitor line at 1700 fps. fastest you can get without going .22 magnum...
  9. Seabeesrchief

Seabeesrchief New Member

Faster isnt always better. Faster usually fouls barrels more.
  10. Pest Control NJ

Pest Control NJ New Member

Hi! Thanks for replies. This is a very helpful post. I am new to this forum and so far I am learning a lot. Cool forum site!
  11. czechyour6

czechyour6 New Member

Setting up a Rem Model Five with can to see just how quiet these Cbees are, will have to post an update soon when I get to test em!
  12. muddober

muddober Active Member

Ponycar:

That was cool thanks for sharing. The bullet looks like is the same one Remington uses in the yellow jackets.

Ron
  13. Manitouwadge

Manitouwadge New Member

Good to hear about a Rem Model Five like mine. From looking at the photo of the CBEE round, it appears to look like the Yellow Jacket's truncated cone. I simply cannot get the Yellow Jackets to chamber into my Model 5 no matter what I try - magazine load or single round adapter. I suspect the ridge at the bottom of the truncated cone jambs on the chamber mouth. Please let me know how the CBEE's load into the Model Five.
  14. shell shock

shell shock New Member

stumbled on this site while i was looking to find some replacment CB rounds for my depleted stock of old remmington short CB's.
    i have a "yard maintaince gun" i fire them from, a sears branded marlin bolt gun. model # excapes me, 60 i think? i can run any length shell, short, long, long rifle.
    the little shorts in a rn 30 grain put a hole through a rabbit at 40yds. no problem. a little light for ground hogs and fox at more than spitting distance. they shoot a 2in group out to 50yds. they're as quiet, if not quieter than the crossman 760 pellet gun my kid shoots. i don't see why czechyour6 would want a can? really not going to inprove it much any if at all.

i'll have to order up some of these new offerings and see what they'll do.
  15. Supercharged86

Supercharged86 New Member

Two thumbs up for the Remington CBee .22's! :)