The Firearms Forum banner

Remington 22 LR Target Ammo

5K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Snakedriver 
#1 ·
Had a bad experience with this ammo a couple of years ago. Several failures to fire so I sent an email to Rem and they sent me a fed x to return the remaining rounds. They sent me a letter and two boxes for my troubles-seems several of the rounds did not have any primer in the rims. OK move ahead two years. I purchased another box and yesterday at the range I could not hit the broad side of a barn. I thought I was just having a bad day. While cleaning the gun (Ruger MK1 bull bbl) I noticed a dark streak just past the chamber. Got the brush out and found a sliver of lead about 1 inch long stuck to the brush. I am thinking the ammo was the cause of my bad day at the range. Back in the 70s I swore by Rem but no more I am done with them.

#3 ·
Unfortunately Remmington's rim-fire ammo has been experiencing a lot of problems for several years. Their customer service has repeatedly advised "We're working on it".

Most problems seem to be failures to fire with promotional ammo like "Value-Pak" and "Thunderbolts" and with gross and potentially dangerous leading by "Thunderbolt" ammo.

This situation is especially regrettable because Remington HV ammo tends to cycle hard to cycle semi-auto pistols that otherwise require relatively expensive CCI "Mini-Mag".

#4 ·
I shoot something like 20,000 rounds of .22 LR a year, and I quit using Remington .22 ammo several years ago because of all the problems. I checked where I shoot a lot, and started picking up all the .22 ammo on the ground last year. After about 6 months I looked at all the ammo, found about 80% of it was misfires, rims dented but not fired. Of that ammo, nearly 90% of that was Remington. No wonder no one wants to use that crap any more.

I switched to Winchester bulk for most of my plinking and hardly ever have a problem of any type. Also use CCI some and no problems there either.

#5 ·
Back in the early 90s we bought "Bucket of Bullets" Rem. offered. After 50 rounds had to clean the guns. Didn't buy any again till a couple of weeks ago. After 4 rounds my barrel was so dirty it looked like it had never been cleaned, and i had completely tore down n cleaned the gun the night before. Needless to say the rim fire rem rounds will never be in my house again. This is strange to me though because their center fires are great ammo. I just don't get it.

#7 ·
When I get a new .22 I buy a couple boxes of most the different ammo I can find (except the exotic stuff for $10.00 per 50) and see what my gun like best. That is except for Remingtom rimfire ammo, haven't purchased any since mid 70s. My experience was the same as listed above; dirty, unreliable, inaccurate ammo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.