remington .22 model 552 question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by GunNut89, Apr 3, 2012.

1. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Michigan
    hey guys. quick question. my buddy inherited an older remington speedmaster model 552 .22 rifle from his grandpa. it has an issue. regardless of brand of ammo and cleanliness of the gun, it will not cycle shells without jamming. he disassembled it and said the "ramp" on the front of the barrel is wore out and missing material. a new barrel through numrich's requires you to be an ffl dealer to purchase a new barrel due to the serial number being stamped on the barrel. any input on this? thanks, Kevin

2. goofy

goofy Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2011
    If you need a new barrel then go to your local FFL dealer and have him get it.
    He does not have to install it. He will just put it through the books.The same as getting a stripped lower for a AR-15
    Mike

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

3. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Check with Brownells . FYI Remington doesn't serial number their barrels . The restriction is for liability reasons ! Brownells tends to be a little more lax about such things . That barrel should indeed be installed by a smith !

4. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

Take the gun to a gun smith, he can probably fix it without having to buy a new barrel. If not, he can get the barrel for you, and install it. I had one for many years, and am planning on buying another. I doubt very seriously that the gun is worn out.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  5. GunNut89

GunNut89 New Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Michigan
    ok thanks guys. i'll let him know