Remington .222

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buckshot, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

I have a Remington Mod. 700 Varmint (heavy barrel) in .222 Remington. I would say excellent on the bore, action and bluing, and good on the stock - beautiful from across the table, small nicks, dents and marks showing when you hold it up for close inspection. I wondered about re-chambering it to .223 or a bigger .22 (action length??), for availability of ammunition, etc., but everyone starts hollering about this being a grievous, unforgivable sin. Is this rifle/round really that popular? I can't find a single one currently for sale to judge. Anyone have any comments on current popularity or value?
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Your .222 rifle is kind of a paradox. They didn't make a great many in that caliber, and in 100% mint condition unfired in the factory box it would be worth about $700. In the condition you quote, it is probably worth about $400. It's not in collectible condition, so the question is, what to do with it? The .222 caliber is so obsolete it is of very little use to anyone. The ammo is out of production and is costly if you can find it. You may as well rechamber it to .223, or you could sell it and use the money to buy a rifle in a more useful caliber.
  3. TTE

TTE Member

I agree with Whippet
  4. swiftman

swiftman Member

Do you reload?? If so leave it alone. Or have you ever fired it. Would be nice to know if it shoots well enough to bother rechambering it.
    My friend bought one of these last year with out the heavy barrel and it wouldn't shoot worth a d%^&.
  5. XP100

XP100 Member

There is still 222 ammo available along with new brass. Federal, Remington & Winchester still make the ammo as does Prvi Partizan( about 11.50/20. . Ammo is still very reasonably priced. 222 is inherently accurate. Its only about 100-150 FPS slower than a 223. Don't ruin a very good caliber rifle.
  6. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

At one time in the 1940s and 1950s and even as late as the 1960s the .222 was considered to be THE most accurate centerfire round bar none, and was the round favored by most bench rest shooters.

It still has that potential, and is considered to be more accurate than the .223. The VERY first Armalite 15s were chambered in .222, (OK, maybe the .222 Magnum, I forget) so if THAT round would have become the 5.56 instead of the .223 we may never have had a .223. The only reason the .223 passed it in popularity is because of the NATO standard thing and thus availability of components.

There are a lot of .222s still in service too...it was the "premier" Turkey rifle in Pennsylvania for decades...

My wife's Grandpa had one for his Turkey rifle, handloaded for it and it was highly accurate. When she went deer hunting with her Gramps she carried the .222. Our first deer season after we got married we hunted with him together, I used his .300 Savage (which about the same time as the .222 was considered THE perfect Deer/Black Bear/Elk cartridge, even more popular in the 40s and 50s than the .30-06!) He carried his .30-40 Krag, and she carried the .222. Gramps was "cutting edge" in his prime.

She never got a Deer with it but HE did. That .222 meant so much to her that after he passed away Gramma let all us boys who hunted with him pick one of his guns to have, my wife DEMANDED I pick the .222, until she found out Gramma had "reserved" that one for her own nieces by a previous marriage, who NEVER hunted with Gramps (Talk about one POed Grand Child!:p) Actually I had to promise to buy her a .222 someday just to shut her up and promote family unity! :p (That's also when I got my beloved '97 Winchester;)

Anyway, I inherited Gramps reloading stuff, including his 5/8" Lyman dies and his homemade adapter to fit them to his Pacific Press. I believe he MAY have had an Ideal hand press at one time but nobody found it

So when I do buy my wife her .222 I am ready!:p And I too have seen new Remington .222 ammo availabl at many stores, the latest Gander Mountain. Granted, there were like two boxes of one variety of bullet, as opposed to HUNDREDS of boxes of .223 but it's there.

Thanks for bringing back all these memories! Long story short, do NOT rechamber it! sell it to somebody who WANTS a .222 and then buy your new rifle!
  7. Danjet500

Danjet500 Member

I sold one last year exactly like that only the wood was nearly perfect. Great bluing and a heavy barrel. I got $650 for it. The .222 Remington is a wonderful, accurate and light recoiling round. As said above, for years it was used as the benchmark for accuracy. It is inherently more accurate than the .223 because of the longer case neck. Sell it and get a .223 if that is what you want. Plenty of factory ammo to be had and reloaded for the .222.
  8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Hey! I was in my local Wally World today, a LITTLE one, our SUPER Wally World is still under construction...

And I skated past the ammo counter and lo and behold, a box of .222 Remington for $17.99!

Now we ALL know Wal-Mart will carry NOTHING made in the USA unless it is POPULAR!:p

I was kinda pissed though...no cheap .220 Swift:mad:
  9. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

I have a Remington 222 model 700 and would not trade it for the world. I love this rifle and have used it for shooting praire dogs, ground squirrels, and rabbits. The rifle has very little kick and is super accurate. I would buy another if I could find one, but they are hard to come buy.
  10. muddober

muddober Active Member

I will put in my 2 cents and say the only reason to re chamber your gun is if you don't plan to reload for it. I re chambered my 700 ADL 222 to 223 because I shoot jackrabbits at night and I don't like hunting brass at night so I shoot military 223 and leave it lay. Unless you plan to compete punching paper the 223 is plenty accurate to kill squirrels at 300 yards, but if you want to shoot little lizards at 300 yards best you keep it a 222.

Ron
  11. Buckshot

Buckshot Active Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I've pretty much decided to keep it as is. I agree it'd be a shame to rechamber it There's a really avid, if small, community of .222 aficiandos out there that would scoop it up if I ever want to sell it and move on to something else. Cabela's carries four or five factory loads for it (pretty much all the same "load" from different manufacturers) running from $17.99 to $25.99. I ordered a couple hundred new cases and some Hornady V-Max 50's. (All on sale! Musta been a sign.) I've got powder and primers. I'll be in business soon enough.