Remington .22lr thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Zane71464, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have a question concerning Remington's 22LR Thunderbolt ammo, Has anyone else got any negative inputs on this ammo??

Myself and my brother-in-law were shooting 22's one weekend and went tru about 1500-2000 rounds and yes we were running out :D So I went down to a local catch-all store nearby and they had some Thunderbolts, so I bought 200 rounds.

We were shooting his Ruger 10/22 and my Ruger 77/22 and was fireing Federal rounds. I got back with the Thunderbolts and what a frightening situation. We loaded up and commenced fireing. I'd say about 1 out of 20 rounds didnt fire. Those that did, we couldnt hit a 2" circle at 20 yards...we shot about 100 founds of the 200 I'd bought and the other 100rds are still in my shelf.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or maybe this was a bad batch?:confused:
  2. bucksnducks

bucksnducks New Member

My personal opinion of Thunderbolts is that they are crap. I haven't shot any in years for the same reasons you have encountered.
    I don't know whats up with the quality control on Remington .22 rimfire rounds. I used to shoot a ton of the 36gr. hollowpoints (the gold colored ones). They were consistent and flew well from all of my guns chambered for them. But they too seem have gone downhill.
    In recent years, I have been using Federals for plinking and CCI for hunting and am real happy with both.
    .22's are finicky though, and what works with my guns may not work for others.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I agree completely with bucksnducks' first statement. Thunderbolts are crap.

All Remington 22s are bad, but Thunderbolts are the worst garbage out there.
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Yeah, Thunderbolts are really bad.
  5. mikld

mikld Active Member

T-bolts shoot ok in my Remington Viper. There are many more accurate 22 ammos out there so I don't usually bother. BUT, in my Ruger Mkll they don't feed well (one or two ftf per mag.) and aren't accurate at all. In my Ruger Single Six they just are not accurate, but each one will go bang. So, I don't bother...
  6. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I won't buy them again, too many duds.
  7. medalguy

medalguy Member

Same here, don't waste your money.
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Well thats good to hear from someone other then myself and my brother in law.....we both swore we'd NEVER buy another box ever, and haven't! I still have a couple of boxes left and I absolutly will not shot them in any gun I have. They might damage something!
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree, they suck. remington golden bullets are the best bulk buy IMO. I much prefer CCI stingers in my Rem 5, and Win Xpert HV in my marlin. Rem golden bullets in my Ruger 22/45 and golden bullets in my Ruger single six. Thats just what these particular guns like best. THEY ALL HATE T-BOLTS, couldnt hit the side of the barn with them...