Remington 341 - A Classic Old Rifle

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Snakedriver, Dec 10, 2010.

1. gor in San Diego

gor in San Diego New Member

I have a Remington 341 Sportsmaster, which I found a few years back at a garage sale and in quite good condition, except the mauser type safety was very loose, and would not hold the firing pin assembly off of the sear. When the safety was released so went the firing pin. Not good. I removed the pin that bears on the cam surface at the back of the bolt and replaced it with the head portion of a 1 3/4 inch finishing nail. The increased diameter of the nail head took up the slack and it is now as tight as a kittens ear. This is a fine shooting rifle, vivid open sights, and has the absolutely best no fail tubular magazine cartridge feeding system.

Which brings up a more interesting story. As a young fellow in the 1950's I found a rifle barrel and action sitting in a pile of cold fire ashes in Saint Augustine Beach, Florida. The stock had been burned off and the muzzle appeared to be rusted shut with sand. Some months later, I began to disassemble it. I wire brushed the parts and found that it was a Remington Model 34. I sawed the barrel off at about 17 inches, ran a brush through it and lo and behold, the rifling was clean and sharp. I filed the barrel end square and crowned the muzzle as described in my favorite, Clyde Baker's Modern Gunsmithing, 2nd edition 1933. With a rat tail file, I cut a new dove tail into the barrel, installed the front sight and filed the rear sight down so that the front bead just sat into the notch. I sawed, carved and rasped out a Mannlicher stock out of a piece of well seasoned 2 x 8 Douglas fir. I fitted this stock to my long reach and cheek position like Clyde told me. A muzzle end barrel clamp was forged from a piece of copper tubing, and a trigger guard was fashioned from a piece of sink drain pipe. The trigger pull was lapped to a fairly firm 1 1/2 to 2 pounds and the right side thumb safety would hold it. I lapped the sides of the cartridge carrier, several inches long, on a new fine corundum stone and polished the cam surfaces. This became an extremely slick bolt action rifle, now carbine. I shot hundreds and perhaps thousands of rounds through this reclaimed piece. My buddy Jim and I shot up a lot of the old abandoned farm dumps out side of Gainesville FL, could hit a bottle pretty good on the fly. This gun came up quick. Probably shot up colloectibles but that's the way it goes. I have attemped to post a pic. Cheers, and regards, gchase1@san.rr.com

Attached Files:

2. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I do that all the time. Nice to get different ones, but sometimes I want the old one back. Oh well, this is the cross we bear for this hobby(and not being rich!) There are just too many! (Did I say that? Not possible)
  3. cjp

cjp New Member

Just been looking thru the threads here and noticed this one on the Remington 341. I was given one of these for my 16th birthday some 27 years ago with an old weaver scope mounted. It has shot hundreds of rabbits and possums down here in New Zealand. It is the best rifle I have ever owned and as it was the first I ever owned it will never be sold. My 9 year old has just started off shooting targets with it while learning gun safety and handling. It still shoots dead straight.
    I just fitted a small laser to the top of the scope and will try it out on some more bunnies at the weekend. Given it's age - some 70 years and change, it just shows - you can't beat craftmanship.
  4. mike329

mike329 New Member

Hello everyone. I just bought a Sportmaster 341. The stock is in good shape, no dents or deep scratches but the barrel at the muzzle end has some rust.

I'm thinking 2 things:

maybe using some emery cloth and light oil to remove the rust then "re-bluing". What are the best bluing kits out there?

also, there are no mounting holes for a scope. I have a small drill press, drills and taps so I could probably put some mounting holes in it. So where would I find the appropriate scope mounting parts so I can use them for a drilling template?

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Birchwood-Casey makes a pretty good blueing called Perma-Blu that will do a good job on your old rifle.

For mounting a scope on your 341 use two Weaver #43 mounts on the receiver. I paid my local gunsmith to drill and tap my '42 Sportmaster. It takes a little skill to do it right and I wasn't willing to take the risk myself of screwing it up. Midway USA, Brownells and others sell the mounts for about $6.50 each. Amazon has them too.

http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Base-Top-Mount-43/dp/B000N8OGW2/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1336574427&sr=1-2

I also use some Medium-Height B-Square Rings with a 1" off-set on the rear ring for bolt clearance. It all works real well on the old .22. I think I bought them on Amazon here:

http://www.amazon.com/B-SQUARE-EXT-RINGS-MED-MATTE/dp/B001F0M3D6/ref=sr_1_105?ie=UTF8&qid=1336574143&sr=8-105

Here's a couple of shots of my set-up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Really nice Snakedriver! Nothing like an older rifle "fixed" up.
    Got an older .22 myself I've been wanting to do some work on, just been putting it off,
    or putting other things first I reckon.
    (gonna have to take some time soon for "me"!)
  7. Grouchy

Grouchy New Member

The 341 is one awesome 22 bolt action. A real tack driver.

I bought one from an online forum. Both grandsons wanted to shoot it when we visited the silhouette range, so I bought another. The second is as good as the first! This must have been a winner in the late '30s, depression times notwithstanding.
  8. Curlyjoe_99

Curlyjoe_99 Member

All nice presentations of what i learned to shoot with.

BWDilli,

Thanks for the pic showing the rear site aperature!! i now know what the heck the two tapped holes were for on my families' old Target master. Not sure if it is a 341 since it was single shot with no magazine. if i recall it was a TP41 or a TP44.

thanks again

Curlyjoe