1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Remington .35 mm

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by driver1610, Sep 25, 2012.

1. driver1610

driver1610 New Member

Can anyone tell me if I am making a mistake. I have a Remington .35 cal. Gamemaster model 760 pump, serial number of 55018. It now has iron sights. I am thinking of putting a scope on it, but will not if I am going to be destroying the value of the gun by doing so. I have no idea of it's worth right now. Will you help?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. Rusty Dusty

Rusty Dusty New Member

I do believe you mean .35 cal. not mm. ;-)
  3. driver1610

driver1610 New Member

You are correct. As you can tell. I'm pretty new at this. Thanks
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If the gun is factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts (look at the top of the receiver - there should be four little bitty screws), then scoping it won't hurt anything.

If you have to have it drilled and tapped, that would put a dent in any collector value. But, really, is there a collector market for 760s?

But I'm pretty sure it's gonna be factory drilled and tapped.
  5. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    It should be drilled an dtapped for scope mounts so if it is you will not destroy any value. Where you do destroy or decrease value is to drill and tap a firearm that was never factory drilled and tapped. Military mausers are aprime example as are otehr military actions. Same with SOME Savage 99s.
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

If it was made after 1960 it's factory drilled and tapped for a scope.

The serial number doesn't date Remington rifles, there's a few letters stamped in the barrel near the left side of the receiver that tell the date.

Link to Remington date codes;
    http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  7. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Based on the YY dated code on your barrel it was made in 1952. That makes it a first year of production for that model.
  8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

760s weren't factory tapped till 1955 . If you have an unmolested first year production , 760 in .35 Rem. , don't mess it up ! There is indeed collector interest in 760s ! If it's unmolested , then it's a mattter of condition that will determine collector value . I had a customer recently bring me a YY code 760 with 100% bluing and 99% wood , it would have been a collector gun , if it hadn't had 8 holes drilled and tapped for different scope mounts . Four holes for a Pachmayer side/pivot mount , and four more for a Weaver # 62 base . Bummer ! It's still a nice rifle though .