Remington .35 mm

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by driver1610, Sep 25, 2012.

1. driver1610

driver1610 New Member

Can anyone tell me if I am making a mistake. I have a Remington .35 cal. Gamemaster model 760 pump, serial number of 55018. It now has iron sights. I am thinking of putting a scope on it, but will not if I am going to be destroying the value of the gun by doing so. I have no idea of it's worth right now. Will you help?
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. Rusty Dusty

Rusty Dusty New Member

I do believe you mean .35 cal. not mm. ;-)
  3. driver1610

driver1610 New Member

You are correct. As you can tell. I'm pretty new at this. Thanks
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

If the gun is factory drilled and tapped for scope mounts (look at the top of the receiver - there should be four little bitty screws), then scoping it won't hurt anything.

If you have to have it drilled and tapped, that would put a dent in any collector value. But, really, is there a collector market for 760s?

But I'm pretty sure it's gonna be factory drilled and tapped.
  5. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    It should be drilled an dtapped for scope mounts so if it is you will not destroy any value. Where you do destroy or decrease value is to drill and tap a firearm that was never factory drilled and tapped. Military mausers are aprime example as are otehr military actions. Same with SOME Savage 99s.
  6. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

If it was made after 1960 it's factory drilled and tapped for a scope.

The serial number doesn't date Remington rifles, there's a few letters stamped in the barrel near the left side of the receiver that tell the date.

Link to Remington date codes;
    http://www.remingtonsociety.com/questions/BLACKPOWDERX.htm
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  7. GunHugger

GunHugger Well-Known Member

Based on the YY dated code on your barrel it was made in 1952. That makes it a first year of production for that model.
  8. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

760s weren't factory tapped till 1955 . If you have an unmolested first year production , 760 in .35 Rem. , don't mess it up ! There is indeed collector interest in 760s ! If it's unmolested , then it's a mattter of condition that will determine collector value . I had a customer recently bring me a YY code 760 with 100% bluing and 99% wood , it would have been a collector gun , if it hadn't had 8 holes drilled and tapped for different scope mounts . Four holes for a Pachmayer side/pivot mount , and four more for a Weaver # 62 base . Bummer ! It's still a nice rifle though .