Remington .41 o/u Derringer

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by afflicted, Oct 2, 2010.

1. afflicted

afflicted New Member

I'm thinking of putting this o/u up for sale. I know there are about 6 variations of this derringer. I've ruled out the slanted address and UMC versions. Can you tell me which this is? I know that broken hinges greatly affect the value and have seen some with repairs. What I have NEVER seen is what you will see in one of the pics. Two screws on the top right behind the hinge. I assume this is a repair. If it is it was very nicely done. Aside from that issue it is in excellent shape. Everything else functions perfectly. The numbers at the lug and under the grip match. 314. Any idea of value? Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

My friend had one and went and shot it at a coffee can...just dented it.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Using Flayderman's terminology, that is the Type II or Model No. 3, some 80,000 made 1888-1911.

The screws are definitely not factory and further aren't where those guns usually crack, which is in the little frame loop itself, further forward. From examining some of those guns, I have come to believe they don't crack from firing, but from the barrel block being opened fast, breaking the loop from its momentum.

I believe that gun was cracked at the point where the screws are, was repaired using the screws, then polished and (re?) plated. That model, in excellent condiiton can bring well over $4000; even poor condition ones (that are not broken) can bring $1500. The problem is that I am not sure how much impact the repair (if that is what it is) would have on the value, let alone the (as I believe) replating.

Jim
  4. afflicted

afflicted New Member

Thanks for the input guys. I'll either have to put it up at a low price or try auction listing. Dented can comment cracked me up. I've heard the slug can be seen in flight!
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I wouldn't want to be shot with one, but they are definitely not recommended for hunting brown bear or lions.

Jim
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

:) I have seen the bullets bounce off a wood post.
  7. Goody

Goody Member

I could be wrong, but it looks to me like those screws are holding a block on that someone made to replace the top of the frame. In the third picture I think I can see a seam running all the way back and over to the hammer. I don't think the originals had this top block, at least the two I owned didn't, nor any that I have seen in person. I am of the opinion that the hinge(s) broke, and some enterprising soul replaced the top rear of the frame rather than repairing the hinge(s).

I would say that with this addition and what I think is a refinish the value would be low, perhaps $300.
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I am not saying I would like to get shot with it...I just expected more from the caliber;)