REmington 511 Scoremaster

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by duck32man, Jun 28, 2011.

1. duck32man

duck32man Member

Acquired a new 22 beauty. Curious what the key is to dating this as i see no serial number. On one side of the barrel is a "25" and the other what looks like a star and "P P D"? came with weaver N2 mount. Anyone suggest a good period scope for this? I have a weaver j4 on a win 62a but I cant find any j4s. Thanks
  2. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

I'm thinking June of 1935 production date.

Any of the peroid Weaver scopes would be fine. Or for more $$, a new Leopold would be nice.
  3. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I don't think 511's were being made in 1935, but close, Remington says they were in production from 1939 to 1963. Here is a link to a site that gives the detailed breakdown of the date codes:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9555

The date of manufacture code is a series of letters on the left side of the barrel just in front of where it meets the receiver. The letters you mentioned don't seem to fit, so you might try and post a picture for a better analysis. It should look like this:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  4. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Snakedriver,

Correct you are. I was just trying to recall from memory and I'm sure you know what trouble that can cause.

My very first gun was a model 510 given to me by my uncle back around 1948. My brother has the rifle now. Great rifle for any youngster or oldster to start shooting with.

I now have a late and very minty model 511 with a grooved receiver and Leopold M4 scope with fine tapered cross hairs and target dot as the reticle. Great combination.

Jolly
  5. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Yep, all of the Rem. 5-teen guns were excellent rifles. For me, my Dad gave me an old 1942 Rem. 512 in mint condition when I was 10 y.o. for my first firearm. That is one fine shooting rifle for sure. Still have it today and won't ever part with it. Hopefully when I'm gone, the kids will appreciate it like I have. :cool:
  6. Jim K

Jim K New Member

My first gun was a 511; I still have it and it is still one of the best.

Jim
  7. Jolly Bill

Jolly Bill Member

Snakedriver,

The picture of the Remington .22 you posted above has a date code on the barrel of "AF" which I believe translates to March of 1937 when I was 6 months old.

Jolly
  8. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Correct, that picture is one that I had handy of a date code on a Remington 341 Sportmaster. My Dad bought it new sometime in late 1937. The 341's were only made for 4 years between 1936 and 1940 when Remington switched to the 512's.