Remington 513-T Military Training Rifle

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Razor62, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Razor62

Razor62 New Member

Kicking around buying a Remington 513T Military Trainer.

The seller claims to have the rear sight and slings but the gun does not have these parts with it at this time.
    Overall condition (other than the missing parts listed above) is very good to excellent with 99% of the parkerizing remaining and the wood appears to be typical of any military weapon. No splinters, cracks or major dents.
    Stamped " US Property" and the bolt has been inscribed by hand with the serial number. (58142)
    Looking for an idea of its value both as is and with the sling and sights.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. Razor62

Razor62 New Member

Bump! Anyone?????

I have to talk to the seller on Friday. Any ideas as to what this rifle should sell for? I don't want to insult the guy but I don't want to pay too much either.

Thanks.
  3. okeeemt

okeeemt New Member

okay book values at exc... is 375 dollars. I am no expert but i believe if it is marked us property it would be worth more? You need to make sure the sights and sling are the org...TO BE ORG THE SLING MUST BE LEATHER. Both sights should be redfield... It should also have double extracters, and sling size is 1 1/4 inches.. also if in 80% 315$ and 60 About 220$
  4. Razor62

Razor62 New Member

That's good info. Thank you okeeemt. I've got to keep on this guy to find those missing parts.
    I appreciate your help very much.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I've got to keep on this guy to find those missing parts.

Quite right!
  6. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

I bought one several years ago. Probably the most accurate rifle I own
  7. shootrj2003

shootrj2003 New Member

I've seen them go for much higher than blue book value,I know, the choice on that is the buyers but my experience is that as a rule they go for more than the book says,and + if they are U.S. marked.I payed $368.oo for mine,The bluing was real nice the stock was great,the front sight was correct and it had the original mag.However the Redfield rear sight was gone and it was d&t'd for a side mount and had a old 4x15 weaver G-6 on it[at least it was period!]I don't feel cheated,I was wanting a great shooter and got it.
  8. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

That is a great rifle. No doubt about that. Sounds to me like you are looking for a collector more than a shooter. The thing about the sling and the sights tips that off.

I shot a 513-T for a couple of years for the military in Army Reserve/National Guard competition. Our Team Coach was former Air Force Grand Master and we did very well with those 513-t rifles, even shooting in mixed matches against civilians using scoped target rifles.

Matching magazene? I don't think any of our 8 513-ts we had still had matching mags after the first relay on a Match. Nobody I ever knew on the Team ever matched up serial numbers or rack numbers on those things, so again, I wouldn't worry about that. We never stripped those rifles down, and kept the bolts matched to the rifles - ALWAYS.

Our rifles had, as I recall, Palma rear sights. The slings were the standard woven cloth type O.D. slings with traditional Garand/M-14 metal hardware. We did not have leather slings on our issue 513-Ts. The leather slings looked pretty, but in shooting real Matches, the cloth web sling worked great. They were infinately adjustable.

On that rifle you describe, I would be concerned about the rear sight, and finding the original issue sight or at least a decent replacement. Don't sweat the leather sling. An original sight for that rifle will be very pricey. They were never cheap.

If you can get that rifle, as in the condition you describe, with the rear sight for around $350, I'd say you got a good deal. Without that sight I'd lower my offer A LOT.... say $200 to $250. You will need the money to pay for a good replacement sight - if you can find one. Good Luck!
  9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

While it was Remington's second string target rifle (the superb Model 37 was on top), the 513 is a good rifle and most are very accurate. They are the top of the line of the 500 series, which included the 511 and 512, both good rifles.

The 513 might not be as accurate as the Model 37 or the Winchester 52, but it would take a champion marksman (or a machine rest) to tell the difference.

Jim
  10. jim brady

jim brady Well-Known Member

I would concede that the 513-T was second string to the Model 52 series Match rifles, the 513-T was a superb Match rifle in it's own right. Again, these were 'issue-grade' rifles kept in stock in many Army unit's Armories.

In actual use, these rifles were quite capable of delivering outstanding accuracy. On 25 foot .22 competition targets, they often took out the center ring on all 10 targets. As I recall - and it's been over 30 years ago - we used Federal Match ammunition as issued.

Seems to me that the rear sights were the 'Palma' rear sight, but I wouldn't swear to it today. Could have been a Redfield sight....... I'd love to have a 513-T myself, but with my eyes today I couldn't do the rifle justice.
  11. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

For older eye's there are diopter rear peep sight inserts that screw into the peeps windage based mounting hole. These will let an older eye like mine see the dust that collects on my front sights. They don't come cheap, but quality target rifles and accessories don't either. If used will do, they can be bought on some well known internet auction sights for much less than new. Gehmen and Anshutz are two well know makers.

Just a quick plug for a rifle of US military target use not mentioned, but very worthy, the 40X Remington. They are in the same leage with the 37 IMHO...;)

Regards, Kirk
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Actually, Remington's Model 37 was better, though not as popular as the Winchester Model 52. The Model 37 may or may not have been more accurate than the 513, but it had a heavier barrel, a better trigger and a higher class of sights and other accessories.

Jim