The Firearms Forum banner

Remington 522 Viper

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Joe M 
#1 ·
Does anyone have one and if so how reliable has it been I took one for a debt I was owed. In all it cost me $25.00. I am thinking of giving it to a friend for a birthday gift.

#3 ·
The 522 is the grandaddy to the 597. The few 522s that I've seen have not been the best machines. Lots of feeding problems with the magazine and they are picky about wanting to be clean and "run wet". I always figured there has to be a reason that they were replaced by the 597 after only a 5 year run. Never owned one myself, always looked to be too much plastic on em whenever I found one cheap.

$25 about all the more I'd pay for one too. All depends on how good the friend is on whether or not I'd dump a 522 in is lap. :D

#5 ·
Biggest problem was the mags...substandard design.
Not a whole lot you can do about that...

Second biggest was if you used Remington Rimfire ammo in 'em...
as the spotty-quality ammo meant that it exacerbated the loading issues...

Third is the bolt itself...take it out, look at it...chances are its rough as heck.
Spend some time polishing it & making it smooth, along with what it slides on...
that'll help a bit.

#7 ·
I have one, I hate it, but it will work fine with the metal magazines (after market). The one that came with the rifle stinks! In my testing I have found that the Remington Golden Bullets perform the best through the metal magazines, and not worth a damn through the factory mag... I've now put over 400+ rounds through my 522 without any issues while using the metal mags.

IMHO, if your going to give a friend a rifle, give them one that will work, not one with the reputation of being junk. Give them a decent rifle. I keep my 522 for no other reason then I would not pass junk off to anyone for any reason. This is what happens when poor planning is done to make a buck out of junk. And yes, Remington has lost my business forever over this piece of crap they call the 522... I wouldn't trust them to make toe nail clippers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.