Remington 522 viper

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sniper man, Jun 18, 2003.

1. sniper man

sniper man Guest

There is a 522 viper in a gun store near me but it looks like it is missing a piece on the top at the very back of the receiver there is a 1/2"x1/2" dip there is a brass anchor and red something does anyone have a 522 viper PLZ HELP there is only one pic I could find

Attached Files:

2. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

I'm not familure with the rifle, however I did find a couple of pics that may help in determining if something is missing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  3. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

it wouldnt matter if all the
    pieces were there
    this is simply the worst
    rifle remington has produced in some
    time
    the 597 was a upgrade to the 522
    and its no better
    save your money
    no matter how cheap you can buy one
    IT ISNT WORTH IT
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2003
  4. Zigzag2

Zigzag2 Guest

Thanks for your help B ass9N.
  5. 4 eyed six shooter

4 eyed six shooter New Member

I have to second the last post. I have one in the shop now with a broken ejector. The ejector is just a piece of thin metal waiting to break off at the first chance it gets. To replace the ejector you have to replace the trigger housing at a cost of over $100.00 just for the part. The ejector is molded into the trigger housing. They can be repaired without replacing the trigger housing but what a POS. They are a throw away gun. Run don't walk away from it.

John K
  6. claybuster

claybuster New Member

I'll definitely second what the other two shooters said. No matter how cheap it is - save your money!. The Viper was Remington's Edsel. Probably the absolute worst .22 auto ever designed. If you want a cheap, reliable .22 auto, go to Wally World & pick up a Ruger 10-22................
  7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

No longer made, guess why.
  8. Jambo

Jambo New Member

I strongly disagree. The 522 Viper is a very good gun. It's accurate as all get out. However, this is gun for those of you that don't mind having a plastic receiver and want an accurate, rugged, lightweight rifle. Like it's plasic clad predecessor, the Nylon 66, it fires everytime, even if dirty. But unlike the Nylon 66, which has the receiver and stock all-in-one, the 522 has a two-piece receiver with the stock separate. Regardless of what you anti-plastic guys say or think, it's a good gun and we've never and jam or other problem in the 9 years that we've owned it. And needless to say it has kill a lot of squirrels, sparrows, and cottontails. Just my 2 cents.
  9. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I had one of the very early Nylon 22s up in Alaska in the mid-60s. Worked at -60F, which is more than I could say for some of my guns. Gave it to my father-in-law. Worst mistake I made. :D I now have another, but it doesn't seem as good nor as solid as the early one.

Pops
  10. Jambo

Jambo New Member

Mine has about 100% blueing and the stock isn't dinged up or faded or anything. The serial number is on the barrel. I really don't know if it's a late model or a babied early model. It cost me $180. The first thing I did after I bought was completely disassemble it and clean all the parts and the stock. After I was done with that, it looked like a brand new gun, inside and out.
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2003
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

You must be the exception to the Viper, as we sold 27 and all came back, failure to feed-extract/eject/(fire-this was the main complaint) and flimsy magazines, of which the bottoms always fell off, nice cleaning feature?? Metal magazines were better-early models.
    The carbon fiber receiver---not plastic was nice, unless you mounted a scope.

Walmart here shipped back 400 of them also, too many returns.
    Remington failed on that design and the 597 is the very same rifle (new cover) with more problems.

and what is lightweight......anyway
    my like new Remington 550 (1958 model) only weights 6lbs and it`s wood and steel.

and shoots 17 long rifles-19 Longs- 22 Shorts, everytime!

I have nothing against plastic, but DEMAND a reliable .22 and the Viper or 597 are anything but that.

Glad you got the only one that works, it may be a collector.
  12. Jambo

Jambo New Member

My dad bought our 522 Viper around when then first came out. It came with the bulletproof STEEL magazine. And it honestly functions flawlessly. My dad gave the gun to my brother after he put a scope on it. Scope mounting isn't a problem. Right now, we have an old STEEL Weaver scope on it. Once the scope stopped holding a zero while on our .280, we put it on the Viper.

Even though I haven't had the same luck with this gun as the rest of you guys, I know exactly how you feel. From my experience, the Marlin Model 60 is the second worst .22 ever made; the worst being the Savage/Stevens Model 187. I've never had good luck with the Model 60, which I'm sure most you probably love. I, on the other hand, hate it.

And about the 597: If Remington hadn't half-assed the the triggerguard assembly, it would've been a hell of a gun. And that's the expert opinion of my gunsmithing instructor.
  13. weav74

weav74 New Member

I would have to disagree with ya, I love my viper it has never gave me an ounce of trouble and it shoots very well. There are always lemons in any batch, maybe you just got ahold of one.
  14. claybuster

claybuster New Member

More likely you just got the only cherry off the lemon tree! Congrats!!
  15. Jambo

Jambo New Member

JHC, dude. Talk about the Necro-Post of the Year Award.

For future reference, when you go diving through the archives, be mindful of the last post date.

At any rate, I'm gonna have to agree with the last gent you replied to you. As you may or may not have read in this thread, many people more have reported problems with Remington 522 Viper. So, it is far more likely that you're one of the lucky few who got one that functions as intended.