Remington 522 viper

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sniper man, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying all of them are bad, I'm just saying the one I bought new was.
    As far as accurate, it wansnt too bad, but I tried about every ammo I could put through it, and was constantly dealing with JAMS on every brand ammo I did put through it.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  2. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Man, talk about bringing things back from 2003...

The Remington Viper has proven itself to be the Lorcin of .22lr rifles.
    It's why Remington dropped it, it had way too many problems.
    It's like buying a $40 Pakistani samurai sword and expecting it to chop thru bamboo...

If you got a good one, ENJOY!! It's rare!!

If you see one for sale-used in a pawn shop or anywhere else, RUN AWAY!!!

Most smart dealers won't even take 'em in on trade unless they can test-fire them first...
    the rest just don't know how bad they are.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. brookes_husband

brookes_husband New Member

I am just going to fill you in on the pro's and con's of this rifle... First of all it does have misfeed problems... But it can be fixed with a small piece of 80 grit sandpaper...

1) REMOVE THE BOTTOM PLATE FROM THE MAGAZINE
    2) REMOVE THE SPRING AND INNER ROUND SLIDE (the red piece)
    3) LAY SANDPAPER ON FLAT SURFACE AND SAND THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE THUMB HOLD
    4) SAND THE TOP SQUARE EDGES TO A MORE ROUNDED APPEARANCE (this will allow the slide to move inside the curved magazine)
    5) APPLY A LIBERAL AMMOUNT OF GRAPHITE LUBICANT TO INNER MAGAZINE
    6) RE-ASSEMBLE THE MAGAZINE

I am an armorer in Army National Guard and I assure you that this rimfire is honestly one of the best made... The problem came when the magazines were contracted out to a cheap toy company in Korea (makers of your run of the mill air-soft copies sold at flea markets)

This rifle fires a consistant 3/4 inch group with winchester cheap, and under a 1/2 group with the better non bulk brands. To sum it up this is a great rifle with a crappy magazine... I have bought 6 of these very cheap, sanded and lubed the magazine and resold them for a profit. Two of these rifles I actually re-sold to their original owners who still have them and love them today...

Thanks For Reading, Hope It Was Helpful... SSG "D"
  4. ShootistBob

ShootistBob New Member

The only problem with the Viper was the cheap plastic mags. Unlike Ruger 10/22 rifle mags, the springs in the Viper mags were crap. If you loaded more than 5 rounds in the mag, you would experience all kinds of feeding problems due to lack of enough spring tension to reliably and evenly push the rounds up the magazine housing.
  5. JohnnyD

JohnnyD New Member

I would like to know if anyone can tell me how to adjust the trigger pull on the Viper 522. The rifle operates fine but the trigger pull is just to hard. I would like to make it more senstive and I think that will improve the accuracy.
    Thanks in advance.
  6. swiftman

swiftman Member

I have one I use to use coon hunting. It will function fine with good ammo, not so well with old ammo that is not up to snuff consistency wise ( American Eagle). The weak link is the plastic magazine guide. I had 2 of them break, have to grind out the old one and epoxy in a new one. Good luck finding one now. Accuracy wise not bad, but trigger pull sucks.. I always carry mine with the mag in my pocket when coon hunting now , unless the gun is in my hands and not slung on my shoulder.
  7. pilot ryder

pilot ryder New Member

I have a 522 but have not shot it much. Grandsons shot several hundred rounds so I decided to clean it. When I reassembled it I discovered I could not get the trigger to engage the sear. What is the secret? ljb
  8. tduke

tduke New Member

I had one in my gun cabinet for several years, and finally pulled it out to shoot. It was a pain until I found the right ammo, cci blazier 40 gr. round nose. I disassembled and cleaned it. Shot many boxes of ammo before using it to shoot rifleman at appleseed later. I never believed the rifle would last this long without breaking something, but it has. Although my initial reaction was a POS, I really have grown to like this rifle a lot now and have experienced excellent reliability with it. I would like to find a donor rifle for parts when it does break and maybe magazines. That is my experience with it.
  9. Killerx

Killerx New Member

Pilot ryder- The Viper trigger will not function without the magazine installed.
  10. collin-morgan

collin-morgan New Member

Ok so i have a 522 viper and was wanting to know do any of you know if theres any kind of tactical pistol grip stock for it
  11. collin-morgan

collin-morgan New Member

Is there any way i can shorten a spring on my .22 to shoot shorts
    Please reply soon limited time to get project done
  12. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Not likely. It's not a terribly popular gun, so aftermarket stuff is likely to be in short supply. I've never seen any.

I doubt it very much. The 522 is a semi auto fed from a box magazine, so it's really unlikely that you'll even be able to load it with more than one short at a time.

Sorry that I don't have good news for you, but welcome to the Firearms Forum. :)
  13. UnkaTony

UnkaTony New Member

Add me to the list of Viper lovers. :)

We've had ours since 1995 and have had no problems with it that didn't arise from using those cheap plastic 'replacement' magazines that stores sold to support the weapon. Those were the absolute worst sticking, jamming pieces of crap ever..

I've used hollow point and lead ball rounds (mostly Federal Lightning and CCI Minimag) with it and dropped everything from armadillos to stray dogs running around attacking our herd using the sights on it rather than a scope (which is probably going to change since my eyesight's gotten worse with age).

It's about as accurate as our old Remington Targeteer .22 single shot rifle and a lot lighter, so it's quicker to draw on target (and doesn't take 10 seconds to reload, cock, aim and fire).
  14. beths husband

beths husband New Member

i found that when u chamber a round that red part pulls back and then releases when u fire like part or if not the firing pin
  15. lgschrodt

lgschrodt New Member

I have a remington 522 viper and it is suppose to have that indent the red marker shows that the firing pin is active.
  16. Paladin5150

Paladin5150 New Member

I guess I'm also one of the few who got a "good" 522 Viper, as I have had mine for 14 years, have put a couple thousand rounds through it and never had a problem with it except for one plastic clip going bad. Sportsmens Guide has the METAL magazines, though they are a bit pricey at $45.00 a pop. But the plus side is the metal magazines do seem to be bulletproof and mine has never given me any problems. I keep the plastic one in my parts drawer.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/10-rd-remington-522-viper-22-lr-magazine.aspx?a=506890
  17. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Wow, this is an old thread, but I just got my 522 out of the closet a few months ago and scoped it. I have to boresight it yet, but here in michigan I cannot go outside with it for a while yet, so not in a hurry, but I too have never had a problem with mine, bought it back in 93 brand new. Goes pop every time!
  18. BrysonAK

BrysonAK New Member

awesome advice I just baught mine from a gunshop for 120 bucks with no scope just iron sites and the magazine. come to find out someone had tried shooting a airsoft bb threw it and it was jammd at the barrel so after getting that out with a cleaning rod I shot three or four rounds and the magazine just wasn't feeding correctly. so I did your steps to make the magazine work smooth and right away she shot ten rounds no problem. thanks!!!
  19. jmerry

jmerry New Member

I'm going to have to also vouch support for the Viper. Mine is an early model with the bullet proof magazine, but I've never had any issues whatsoever. I bought mine in 1993 from Walmart, and as a kid probably put 5000 rounds through it with very few cleanings. It hits consistently in 1/2" groups at 50 yards.

It's not a Ruger, but for a cheap 22 I'd say that it's a fine gun.