Remington 522 viper

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sniper man, Jun 18, 2003.

1. collin-morgan

collin-morgan New Member

Is there any way i can shorten a spring on my .22 to shoot shorts
    Please reply soon limited time to get project done
  2. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Not likely. It's not a terribly popular gun, so aftermarket stuff is likely to be in short supply. I've never seen any.

I doubt it very much. The 522 is a semi auto fed from a box magazine, so it's really unlikely that you'll even be able to load it with more than one short at a time.

Sorry that I don't have good news for you, but welcome to the Firearms Forum. :)
  3. UnkaTony

UnkaTony New Member

Add me to the list of Viper lovers. :)

We've had ours since 1995 and have had no problems with it that didn't arise from using those cheap plastic 'replacement' magazines that stores sold to support the weapon. Those were the absolute worst sticking, jamming pieces of crap ever..

I've used hollow point and lead ball rounds (mostly Federal Lightning and CCI Minimag) with it and dropped everything from armadillos to stray dogs running around attacking our herd using the sights on it rather than a scope (which is probably going to change since my eyesight's gotten worse with age).

It's about as accurate as our old Remington Targeteer .22 single shot rifle and a lot lighter, so it's quicker to draw on target (and doesn't take 10 seconds to reload, cock, aim and fire).
  4. beths husband

beths husband New Member

i found that when u chamber a round that red part pulls back and then releases when u fire like part or if not the firing pin
  5. lgschrodt

lgschrodt New Member

I have a remington 522 viper and it is suppose to have that indent the red marker shows that the firing pin is active.
  6. Paladin5150

Paladin5150 New Member

I guess I'm also one of the few who got a "good" 522 Viper, as I have had mine for 14 years, have put a couple thousand rounds through it and never had a problem with it except for one plastic clip going bad. Sportsmens Guide has the METAL magazines, though they are a bit pricey at $45.00 a pop. But the plus side is the metal magazines do seem to be bulletproof and mine has never given me any problems. I keep the plastic one in my parts drawer.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/10-rd-remington-522-viper-22-lr-magazine.aspx?a=506890
  7. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

Wow, this is an old thread, but I just got my 522 out of the closet a few months ago and scoped it. I have to boresight it yet, but here in michigan I cannot go outside with it for a while yet, so not in a hurry, but I too have never had a problem with mine, bought it back in 93 brand new. Goes pop every time!
  8. BrysonAK

BrysonAK New Member

awesome advice I just baught mine from a gunshop for 120 bucks with no scope just iron sites and the magazine. come to find out someone had tried shooting a airsoft bb threw it and it was jammd at the barrel so after getting that out with a cleaning rod I shot three or four rounds and the magazine just wasn't feeding correctly. so I did your steps to make the magazine work smooth and right away she shot ten rounds no problem. thanks!!!
  9. jmerry

jmerry New Member

I'm going to have to also vouch support for the Viper. Mine is an early model with the bullet proof magazine, but I've never had any issues whatsoever. I bought mine in 1993 from Walmart, and as a kid probably put 5000 rounds through it with very few cleanings. It hits consistently in 1/2" groups at 50 yards.

It's not a Ruger, but for a cheap 22 I'd say that it's a fine gun.