Remington 550-1 Firing Pin Question??

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by larrye44, Dec 23, 2010.

1. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

I'm working on my neighbors Remington 550-1. It's been in a closet for 25 years and he would like to get it to shoot again. I took it apart and the firing pin is missing. I going to order a firing pin from Numrich. Along with a magazine tube screw and a step for the rear sight leaf. I want to check the sear and sear spring but have a question. Does the sear engage the firing pin itself. I cannot get the spring to release and think I may need a firing pin in the bolt before the sear will disengage. I'm I correct in thinking this way? I'm going to wait to place the order until I hear from you guys. There may be more I need. Thanks everyone. Larry
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

yes, the sear hook or cocking piece is physically on the pin so you will not be able to engage the sear without a pin being present. This pin has to be fitted to each bolt assembly. Ive done 2 in the past both needed some minor stoning to get in right.
  3. larrye44

larrye44 New Member

Thanks, Helix_FR, that is what I figured. I have some stones I use on 1911 projects. What part of the firing pin will need to be stoned. Is it the cylinder diameter? Are there any flats on the firing pin that will need to be dressed?

Also, the bolt stays in battery. I can't get it to lock in the open position. Is there another part missing that I'm not seeing. I looked at the schematic at Numrich Web Site and could not see anything unusual. Is this correct or is it because of the firing pin not in the bolt? I sure appreciate the help. Larry
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010