Remington 550-1 scope mounts

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by justice1979, Feb 7, 2008.

1. justice1979

justice1979 New Member

So this is the first gun I ever shot. Made in 1951. I just inherited it. It was in a sad state of disrepair. The firing pin broke many years ago, before I got it (early 1990's or so)... Any way, it was completely taken apart and never reassembled. Then it was given to me about two years ago. I just now have had the time and money to go through it. Needed Firing pin and sear spring, and the entire safety components were m.i.a. To make what is becoming a long story short, all better, works great.

What I would like to know is where and what type of scope mounts do I need/ can I get for this?

Don't know if this is factory or not either but there are two holes drilled in the top where a scope would mount. Are these factory? I have to assume these are because I see no way to mount a scope otherwise. I am not a gun guru, but I am mechanically inclined enough to put it together to make it work, but what I should do for a scope... I leave in up to more informed people.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

3. justice1979

justice1979 New Member

Sweet thanks Big Kahuna
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Phil, I think I have never seen a 'factory' drilled 550.
    But, if there is one hole forward, and one aft, of the ejection port (per your 'two hole' remark, this was for a one piece base; if two holes, each side, a two piece base setup seems reasonable, but the spacing, c-c, is the clue; the receiver is cylindrical, without taper, so either a one piece, or two piece, base setup would be easy to do, but a two piece approach normally involves four holes, not two.
    Could this rifle, assuming the two holes at the backside (Behind the ejection port), have worn a receiver mounted Micrometer sight, at some time, and used the original front, for aiming?
  5. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Stash is on to something. If there are only two holes you will need to purchase a one piece base. Two piece bases require 4 holes.

If your gun was drilled and tapped by a gunsmith the hole alignment and spacing my be specific to a certain mount. You will need to measure the space between holes and shop accordingly.
  6. justice1979

justice1979 New Member

The holes are fore and aft the ejection port. I will start taking some measurements and do some more looking around. Thanks for the info and help. Hopefully I can get something to work.

Thanks for the help
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a factory drilled/tapped 550 receiver either. The only holes I remember on the 550-1 is the two holes by the ejection port for the shell deflector...don't think the 550s ever had the deflector though.

The 550-1 of my folks' was dovetailed for 3/8" mounts...probably doesn't help you if yours is an earlier non-grooved receiver.

Have any pictures to post?
  8. justice1979

justice1979 New Member

I will put some pics up, but it is of the non-groved kind for a dove tail. The only holes not occupied by a screw is the ejection port deflector (don't have one) and the two holes that I would call scope mounting holes. I have a feeling that either my brother or the person that owned it before them drilled and taped these 2 holes for a one piece mount. I have a feeling that that is what I am going to get. I just hope I have not trouble sighting it in and getting it consistently accurate. Have any sighting in tips?