Remington 552

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by DKA, Jun 7, 2009.

1. DKA

DKA New Member

Anyone have a 552? Have had one for years and have never had any 22 that would shoot like the 552. By this I mean S,l,LR, can mix them up and it will cycle through them. New one are a little bit pricey, but good used ones can be found.
  2. tim peterson

tim peterson Member

I hade a 552 for several years. It was the best 22 semiauto I ever had and I sold it to a frind ( dumb.) I belive the 552 is the only American made semiauto 22 to shoot short long and longrifle. And worth every penny.
  3. kansas45

kansas45 Member

I have one that I bought new in the early 70's. After I don't know how many rounds it still works great & is still very accurate!
  4. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

I had an early carbine model and it was a tack driver; but for anyone complaining of a hard to takedown a RUGER MkI/II...........must be high. If you have ever had to clean/takedown a 552.
  5. fyimo

fyimo New Member

I inherited my Dad's Remington 552 from the early 80's in prisitine cindition and I will tell you this gun can shoot and is a tack driver. I have a big grin on my face as it's an awesome 22 semi auto. :D
  6. whip

whip Member

I have a 552 and have owned it for 40 years. My dad bought it for me when I was 13. I used if for years and still break it out a couple of times a years to shoot. It can be a bear cat to completely clean. I have had problems with the firing pin end struck by the hammer peaning off and sticking. I need to replace the pin but lack the guts to tear it all apart again to replace the pin. Super accurate .22 with any ammo. It will consistently outshoot my sons 10/22.
  7. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

one of the most accurate semi auto 22's I have found. It has taken many small game animals. Found my current one in a shop in nearly new condition for 200.
  8. cajuntec

cajuntec New Member

I have one and it is my all-time favorite .22 auto. Years ago, I started having problems with it, that Remington couldn't figure out. The action does not close completely from time to time, but the round will still fire with the action half open. It blows the bottom plate out from the rifle and scares the crap out of you when it happens. The brass from the fired .22 has a perfectly shaped bulge ring right in the middle of the shell. But the rifle doesn't have any damage on it. I've cleaned it completely on numerous occasions, and it still does it. The lady I spoke to at Remington said for me to give her the serial number and that she could determine if it were an ADL, BDL, etc... to get parts for it. When I told her what was written on the barrel (no serial number - just some symbols), she told me that it was a "pre-ADL" model, and parts were not available for it. I think she said it was built in 1967 - I wrote it down, along with the years for my Ruger Single Six convertible, and Browning Auto-5. All three belonged to my father before he passed away in 1972.

I purchased a Remington 597 to take it's place. Not saying the 597 is a bad gun... but it doesn't hold a candle to the 552. I still shoot my Speedmaster more than the new 597. Wish I could fix that issue with the feeding though. It's much worse when I shoot Remington ammo. Don't know why - it just is. CCI's have done it periodically, but nowhere near the frequency that the Remington ammo did.

All the best,
    Glenn
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  9. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

We just picked up a Remy 522(the protoype), mounted a 6-24x50 on it.

I amazed how this all pastic shooter hits.
  10. sdblazer

sdblazer New Member

I got a BDL. I have had it maybe 30 years, I just put a scope on it for the first time this last fall. Either way its an accurate rifle, I just picked up a Remington 572 for my wife today, slide action. She's a little rough but I'll clean her up(just like I did my wife). I also picked up a springfield 87a.