Remington 581 firing pin

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by DRS, Aug 23, 2009.

1. DRS

DRS New Member

My Remington 581 firing pin is riding high and missing the shell. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? thx
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

You might have a broken firing pin. Simple fix; replace the FP.
  3. DRS

DRS New Member

Thanks for your response. I already replaced the firing pin. Any other suggestions?
  4. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

DRS,

I am looking at the bolt of a 591, a slightly modified 581. The fireing pin is held in by a pin at the end of the bolt 3/8" from the face of the bolt on the left hand side. It would apear without taking it apart, the slot cut in the pin would stop the pin from missing the rim by high striking it....I would think. Can you move the firing pin in the slot in the top of the bolt? I use my finger nail and mine moves rather freely, no retraction spring. How do you know it is missing the rim vrs. not hitting it at all? Does it leave any marks on the case? Did you replace with a Remington firing pin? What happened to the original pin, and why did you replace it? I know it seems like a lot of questions....But if you want to fix it, we gotta know. These were nice little rifles for the price back in the day. Definately worth fixing. Hope I can help, Kirk

PS. after some checking I have discovered the firing pin on your 581 is held by the C clip spring that also retains your extractors. There is a relief cut on the top edge of your pin to make room for the clip. Check the front edge of this relief cut to see if the pin is striking it there. It could be stopping the pin from movement if it binds with the C clip in any way.
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  5. DRS

DRS New Member

Thanks for your detailed response. I replaced the firing pin to make sure it was a Remington firing pin. The new pin is just hitting the top edge of the casing and there is space between the top of the pin and the coil spring. I tried to adjust the raceway, but it doesn't move much. Any other suggestions?
  6. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

DRS,

It sounds like there is a gap above the firing pin, under the clip that encircles the head of the bolt, retaining the extractors. (?) If so this is probably why the pin is able to "ride up" as you say. I am assuming the previous firing pin in the gun did the same thing. Sure wish I could see your gun..... From the pictures I see in an exploded view manual, it would seem this C clip is what "targets" the firing pin. Could you tell me if the pin is free to move easily in its slot? May be tonight before I can post back....Kirk