Remington 597 or Marlin 795?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by wtflinn, Aug 10, 2010.

1. wtflinn

wtflinn New Member

I am planning on buying a semi automatic .22 rifle, and I am torn between the Remington 597 and the Marlin 795. I like the feeel of of the 597, but i have heard of it jamming alot. Im just trying to figure out which one is the better rifle. Any suggestions?

PS. It will be used for hunting squirrels, rabbits, and other small game. I plan on mounting it with a scope
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    to me for what they are the remingtons are over priced for what they are,this is just a personel opinion. old semperfi
  3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Marlin 795 all the way.
    [​IMG]

If you get one, go to the marlin website & download the rebate coupon.
    Sending it in with Proof Of Purchase nets you a nice $25 return :D

Plenty of accessories available :)

Check my 795 threads for ideas & options here :D

They'll outshoot the Remington & most other .22lr rifles right outta the box :D
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  4. Boofie

Boofie New Member

Where I live, there is no charge for calling in the authorization. Both the local Walmart and the local dealer has the 795 for $138.95, plus $8.34 sales tax, minus $25.00 rebate, equals a total price of $122.29.

Walmart has the plain grey stock 597 for $139.00, plus $8.34 tax, for a total of $147.34.

For that little difference in price, I think the 597 is a better rifle. Early models had some magazine problems that would cause feed and jam problems. The ones I have now, with the aluminum, version 3 magazines, have no feed, jam, stovepipe, or any other problems. They will keep CCI MiniMag HP "INSIDE" a 1 inch circle at 50 yards. That is just a "teeny" more than a 3/4 inch group. The 597 has a stronger, stiffer, better receiver bedded stock. The 597 is drilled and tapped for a one piece base to take Weaver rings and thus eliminates the scope creep problems of the dovetail base. The 597 has more heft to it, which is subjective. If you use open sights, the factory sights on the 597 are far and away better than the 795. Also, the 597 magazine doesn't hang from the bottom of the stock getting caught on things like your hand.

On my 795's and M-60's, I use a one piece scope ring assembly that is actually designed for spring piston air rifles, right at $15.00, that eliminates scope creep. You can get a set of Williams Firesights, if you prefer open sights, for around $30.00. I am bedding and setting up a M-60 now that will use a Red Dot sight.

The 795 is more compact and weighs less. That may be important if you squirrel hunt in hilly and/or thick terrain.

It seems to me that the 795's and M-60's "loosen up," break in more quickly than the 597's. That could be because the 597's have 2 action springs and are just normally stiffer.

I have never had any type of failure to feed, failure to fire, or failure to eject problems with any Marlin semiauto. They will function with any LR ammo you stuff in the clip or tube. I cannot say that about the 597's, they have a great preference for CCI MiniMag, and, kinda funny, they do not like Remington "Golden Bullets, but, in all fairness, I do not have or have not had any brand or action type 22 rimfie that preferred the Golden bullets.

I do not test accuracy or repeatibility with SV ammo, target ammo, or match ammo. I do all accuracy testing and all tweaking, tuning, and bedding with CCI MiniMag high speed, plated hollow points. Out of the box, with HSHP, I think the 597 has a slight edge. I do not know with target grade or match grade ammo.

Either one is going to be capable of putting some brand HSHP into a squirel's head at 50 yards if you do your part. If you want to use a small game load, standard velocity, or Subsonic, solid or HP, I, personally, would go with the Marlin. You, your son, and your grandson(or daughter/grandaughter) will not wear either out, or shoot either out, hunting squirrels and rabbits.
  5. tim.sr

tim.sr New Member

I got one rem 597 at a gun show for $100.00. Even a 22 needs good ammo to keep out the jams.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  6. wtflinn

wtflinn New Member

Thanks alot for the help guys! Keep the suggestions comin!
  7. Big Shrek

The Remingtons also have a recall going on for their .17HRM version of the 597...
    Makes me wonder if there aren't catestrophic problems that haven't occured yet with the .22WMR & .22LR versions.
  8. Boofie

Boofie New Member

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...-hmr-recall-buyback-ammunition-and-model-597/

The problem is the 17HMR ammo, not the 597. The 17 HMR is not working in anyones blowback actions because of the problems of case manufacture. Remington will buy back any Remington labeled 17 HMR ammo. Since a 17 HMR rifle is not worth much without ammo, Remington is also buying back
    597's in 17 HMR, since that is the only across counter rifle they make in 17 HMR.

The manufacturing process of the 17 HMR requires that the cases be primed before the neck is swedged, therefore, the cases cannot be annealed. There is a problem with 17 HMR ammo splitting necks, and even full case splits, even in the finest, most expensive 17 HMR bolt and break barel rifles that have the cases supported by the chamber walls. It varies from lot to lot and CCI seems to be making some progress and will likely eventually solve the problem by alloying and/or new types of priming mixtures than can be applied after swedging and annealing.
  9. wtflinn

wtflinn New Member

ok thats great, but i just want to know about the .22.
  10. Boofie

Boofie New Member

Well....I have the Remingtons and the Marlins.

The Remington has a stronger and sturdier stock than the Marlin. The Remington receiver to stock fit is better designed and sturdier than, and with better bedding than the Marlin. The quality of fit and finish is beter on the Remington than the Marlin. The Remington magazine is definateley a better fit and match to the rifle and doesn't protrude from the bottom of the stock so it can catch, snag, get knocked, or get into the way. The Remington sights are far and away better and much more easily adjustable than the Marlin. The Remington receiver is drilled and tapped for a one piece sight base that takes Weaver style rings. This eliminates the dovetail scope creep the Marlin has, offers a much greater ring selection. There are no issues, safety problems, callbacks or recalls on the Remington.

The Marlin is smaller than the Remington. The Marlin is lighter weight than the Remington. The Marlin is shorter than the Remington. The Marlin will fire and eject all of the SV, subsonic, target and match grade low velocity lead bullets, that I am aware of, and the Remington prefers the HV loads, especially CCI MiniMags.

Out of the box accuracy....The Remington is better with the long rifle high velocity solids and hollow points, the field and hunting rounds. I started hunting with the 22 rimfire in 1954 and quit all hunting in 2005. I do have some experience with the 22 rimfire. For field use, I want a LRHS. I don't know which is best with the SV, subsonic, target, match, but, since the Remington does not like many of these rounds, I would suspect the Marlin. I do not have any need or use for the SV, subsonic, target, match ammo so that is of no concern for me, but might be for someone else. The person that is into serious paperpunching would have little use for a CCI MiniMag LRHP.

I have both Remington and Marlin. My two oldest grandsons, now 12 and 13, found the Marlins a better fit when they were younger/smaller. They have both now, on their own, selected the 597's.

If you are going to hunt squirrel and rabbit with a 22 rifmire, then a 500 round "brick"(5 100 round plastic boxes) of ammo is going to last you for several years. I have a 458 Barnes magnum hunting rifle I built(had engineered) in 1976 and used to 2005, and it does not have near 500 rounds through it.
  11. big steve

big steve New Member

I have a remington 597 and i have marlin .22 rifes. Not the 795 though. Honestly Just go with the Marlin its better quality than the Remington and it is an awesome price.
  12. wtflinn

wtflinn New Member

thanks alot boofie. I think i have made up my mind to go with the 597. It just seems like a better fit for me.
  13. gunaholic2

gunaholic2 New Member

I just purchased a Marlin 795. I cleaned it and got it ready for the indoor range. As soon as I started shooting, I had jamming and feed problems. All I would hear is a click and nothing happened. I opened the bolt and the top round was just sitting there, and not far enough up to feed. That happened a few times. It seems as though the feed spring doesn't push the rounds all the way up. It sticks. I then tried using the CCI mini-mags, and didn't have one single problem after that. What do the different shells have to do with feeding ? I also own a Remington 597 and it works fine. I just purchased a Mossberg Plinkster 702 , and it works perfectly also. I use the mini-mags in that one also.
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  14. grcsat

grcsat Member

Just bought the rem 597 for one of my girls. In PINK!!!!
    And just took it out for a try before giving it to her for xmas. I made sure the manufacture date is 2010 and it worked perfict with stingers and bulk rem ammo.
  15. Big Shrek

I'd almost bet that the first ammo you used was Remington Golden Bullets??
    They've got a track record for being the worst .22lr ammo ever made.
    The no-fires were probably lacking primer in the rim...that's never a surprise with Golden Bullturds.

CCI are simply better made rounds. Consistant in size, weight, powder charge...etc...
    Cleaner-burning powder also :)
  16. fritz

fritz New Member

i have a stainless remington 597, its a very accurate 22, i love it. only issues i have had is the 10 round magazines suck, they are the reason for the jams. i bought a remington 30 round mag and have yet to have it jam.
  17. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I also have the Remington 597 with the Mossy Oak camo pattern. It is a great little rifle. My boys (15 and 13)and my daughter (10) love shooting it. The only issues we have had were with the the aftermarket high capacity clip from Remington not loading rounds right and jams because of cheap 22LR ammo. I found several of the factory 10 round clips at my local gun dealer for $12 each......so now we have 4 factory clips and tossed the high capacity one.