The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington 597 Owners Please Read

12K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Paperwork 
#1 ·
Remignton 597 Owners Please Read

Ok I have heard alot of people saying that the 597 is crap with alot of cycling problems and what not. what i want to know is that for you who own 597's what is your experience and is these problems for any 597 or just certain models...like regular blued, stainless, LR, Mag, Hmr, please let me know what is your experiences. I recently ordered a 597 in .22 Lr with a stainless barrel and synthetic stock, so i would like anyones comments. Thanks.
-Jason-

#2 ·
I picked one up for my son a couple of years ago. It was a piece of crap with all the same old problems.
So I started tinkering with it. I polished the guide rails and the places in the bolt where they slide. Bedded the action with JB Weld. I even put blue Locktite on the guide rail set screws when I intalled them to keep them from backing off during use.
I still need to put a decent scope on it to see how good it will actually shoot, but I took it to the range one day and burned a box of cheap ammo thru it with no problems at all. Not a single mis fire for any reason and it functioned perfectly.
I dont know if they are all this way but I used to consider this the worst new rifle I had ever bought. Of course if a company ever turns out 1 bad item....I'll be the one who gets it...just lucky I guess. :eek:

#3 · (Edited)
It was my first rifle. It's DARN accurate (if you can get past that trigger pull), and very comfortable, but it cycled badly. I took the ENTIRE thing apart. I mean every piece that comes out, came out. I thoroughly cleaned ALL of it until you could eat out of the extractor spring well, then relubed everything, and put it all back together, and it was WORSE. The thing is the dual rails need to be virtually frictionless to work at ALL. I lubed everything until the cows came home, and it was still in bad shape. Even then, it's just too open in there. At least that's my theory. Too much space, so you get lots of bullets going willy nilly.
Also, the mags would rarely hold the bullets where they needed to be to cycle properly.

You can have a 7000$ gun on sale for 50 bucks, but if it's got crappy mags you're going to hate it anyway.

Mine was grey laminate stock, blued.

I've run into the smae jamming problem with the Ruger P series handguns, which also have a "lot of room" in the chamber area... Their rate of FTL is far too high for a carry gun, and even plinking it gets annoying once and a while.

Anyhow, that's my .02

_z

P.S. 22LR model

#4 ·
I have six of them now and they are by far my favorite .22 rimfire rifles. I would highly recommend them. They are not as flexible as the Ruger 10/22, but exceedingly accurate and very ergonomic. I have never had jamming problems or other problems for that matter. As long as you clean them regularly and feed them the right ammo.

Here are my ammo recommendations.

1. Winchester X-pert. .22LR
2. CCI .22LR
3. Remington Thunderbolts.

These three seem to function best in the 597.
Please feel free to pm me with any further questions.
I think you will enjoy your 597 very much, and who knows, you might even get another one.

#5 ·
While ole 597 seems to get all the good ones, that is far from the norm. We sold both the Viper`s and the 597`s---same gun-changed design-somewhat. Both were simply the worst .22`s Remington has put out in some time. After selling around 100 (both Viper and 597`s combined) all came back save one, all returned to the factory/vender for refunds.

Failure to fire.
Failure to eject.
Failure to feed.
Magazine base pops off.
Magazine doesn`t feed.
Magazine impossible to load.

We stopped selling them years ago and will not take them on trade, nor even buy one if cheaper than cheap-used.
There are too many other good .22`s out there to take the chance. Don`t think I dislike Remington either, I have been a fan for over 40 years. As my first Remington was a 550, followed by my Grandfathers Model 11 16ga.

If you want a Remington, get a nice used 552.....for about the same bucks......or look real hard for a 550. These will also shoot shorts-longs-long rifles.

LTS

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys and hopefully i get lucky and get a good one, at the same time i ordered the 597 i also ordered a marlin 882 .22 mag. hopefully that gun is good. and i do have a remington model 550-1 it is a very good ol' gun, very accurate and i like it alot but i also wanted more .22's so i could shoot more than one gun. Thanks.
-Jason-

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.