The Firearms Forum banner

Remington 597 owners

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Marlin 
#1 ·
Remington has a newly designed magazine for the 597 lr.
Anyone who has a 597 knows the magazine is trash, the double stacking design caused feeding problems due to the double stack "overlap" of each round. It was too much
The ammo would bind up on the sides of the mag and the spring didnt have the guts to push the ammo up.
The inside of the new mag is smaller (left to right) so the ammo does not overlap as much and the binding is no longer a problem.
Remington had to make the baseplate a little deeper (1/8") so 10 rounds could still be loaded. (see pic )
It feeds beautifully, even the wax coated ammo.
Looks like the problem has been resolved.
If you are still under warranty you should be able to exchange old for new.
If the rep on the phone says no, hang up, call again you should get another rep ... and try again.
My 597 is about 5 years old so I paid for mine ... $27.95 for two (shipping included)

See less See more
#5 ·
outlander said:
They did away with the plastic ones some time ago, thw "new" ones are still double-stack design but with less over lap and no binding.
Wanna bet? I got two mags that says you are wrong. Single feed only! May be double stack down below, but there are TWO rounds in the single stack feed mechanism. Below that may be double stack.

#7 ·
You didn't turn loose of your Browning did you??? If you ever do think about it, I want it!!!!

:) :) :) :)

#8 ·
Marlin I do sell and trade some guns but 22's leaving my collection are so far apart that you will be a great great grand angle before I turn loose the BLR 22,
Sorry
Ron

#9 ·
inplanotx said:
Wanna bet? I got two mags that says you are wrong. Single feed only! May be double stack down below, but there are TWO rounds in the single stack feed mechanism. Below that may be double stack.
Maybe double stack was the wrong term ... how about staggered stack?
In the picture below I have 2 rounds in the new mag, you can see the first round is "staggered" off to the side.
In the old style mag it was staggered over more, causing the rounds to bind up on the side of the mag.
The whole reason for this post was to let 597 owners know a newly designed mag was available.
They can be ordered from Remingtons parts dept.
Or if you're still under warranty you should be able to trade old for new.

#11 ·
Neil said:
Outlander, When did these hit the market? Would my local shop have them by now?
They've been talking about them for a few weeks over at RFC.
As far as I know you can only get them from Remington.
If a local dealer says they have them check two things:
1. a deeper baseplate
2. look on the side where the view slot is, the old mags just have a 10 written, the new ones have a 10 in a circle.
I can see some dealers trying to pass off old ones for the new design so make sure of those 2 things ... no matter what the dealer might say!!!

#14 ·
Let me get this right, you have to pay for Remington`s defect????
NOT ON YOUR LIFE!!!
As I stated before, No/zip/zap/nada 597/Viper will ever grace my .22 line and the above is just another reason why. It`s not like this rifle is one year old on the market and now you might have to pay Remington.....NOT!!

LTS

#15 ·
This is pretty late compared to the dates on the other posts, but it's still online so I'll throw my $.02 in.

I bought a 597 not knowing about the bad rep it has because of the magazines. It is a sweet, straight shooting gun. I haven't had the gun yet long enough to know what ammo it likes best but in my first few informal plinking sessions I can cover most of my 5 round targets with a quarter at 100' and I don't have a rest, I just leaned on a fence post. Several times I got 3 rounds almost into 1 hole, so I'm certainly happy with the accuracy.

I was dissapointed at first because I had the feed problems (1st gen metal mag) but being ignorant I decided I could solve the problem myself. I polished the inside of the guide rails for the follower and of course cleaned the heck out of the mag. Rem says not ot oil the mag, but I used some dry lube on the follower and had ALMOST no more problems. I just ordered Rem's latest mag to try and if it works as well as everyone is saying I'm going to get a few more. See Outlander's post above. His description matches what Rem told me. BTW- my local gun shop offered to sell me the "newest" version of the mag but it was not!

I just signed up on this site today and I'm impressed with the way everyone handles their disagreements without belittleing (or worse) each other. It's very informative.

#17 ·
Glad to see ya at TFF, Marty.

Thanks for the compliment.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.