Remington 597 review

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by boticron, Jun 6, 2007.

1. boticron

boticron New Member

New York State , United States of America
    Hi everybody Im new to the forums here and I wanted to introduce myself. So i figured I would do so with quick review of the Remington 597. I've had it now for about a week and have put about a thousand rounds of ammunition through it. From the cheap stuff to the better quality ammo.

I have considerable experience at the range as I have been an avid fire arms
    enthusiast my entire life. I can honestly say this is a quality piece right out of the box.

My particular riffle came equipped with a Remington scope 3/9 x 40. Considering they through it in the deal and the total cost coming in under 250 its not a bad set up. Though it was far from bore sighted from the get go. It only took me about 50 or so rounds to bring it in zero. The scope has reasonable optic clarity and "not horrible" light gathering characteristics.

The riffle itself could be a bit larger. I'm a large man with long arms and would prefer and bigger stock. This of course could be remedied with the addition of a but stock pad, which I'm sure I will add in the near future. that being said the stock is big enough to work with.

The build of the riffle is admirable in design and form. It comes equipped with what most riffles would consider an after market barrel. Its heavy and this translates into a higher overall weight then one might expect from a 22lr set up. But for the purposes of the range its a non entity. In the field it would be a different matter all together.

The action is smooth and the bolt travels very nicely in the receiver. I find the magazine release to be reliable and easy to use. its size has alot to do with that as the button is large enough that I can use my ham sized thumbs to drop the mag no problem.

The magazine itself has given me no trouble what so ever. this may come as a surprise to most as I have read often the mags have been a problem for other shooters. It has not jammed once and I have not cleaned and or lubricated it in anyway.

As for the trigger. Its heavy but broke clean and reliably with very little if any play in the action. It felt precise and predictable through out. Although too heavy for my tastes, for a stock trigger its very decent. To remedy the heavy pull the Volquartsen target hammer claims to reduce the trigger weight by 50% which would be a vast improvement. I plan to purchase said upgrade right away.
    I have fired Remington value pack ammo as the cheap alternative and if any of you reading this are familiar with this particular load you know full well its a "you get what you pay for" situation. its cheap and it shows when you shoot it. The groups i was able to get at one hundred yards in doors were pathetic, about 6 to 12 inches with random rounds making the 12 inch of target shots and the 6 inch group being wildly dispersed. For FUN I tapped a quarter to the target just to see if i could hit it and after about three tries finally scored a hit on its edge. pure luck? Probably so , as the value pack ammo is about the worst I ever used. But for 9 dollars at 550 rounds who can really complain.

The next round I used was the CCI velocitor gdhp. At 40 grain and a claimed 1400 fps. This round proved to be far superior as it tightened the groups down to 2 inches reliably and probably could do much better had I been a better shot as my eyes at the hundred yard mark ain't what they used to be. But I was able to score a hit on the quarter first try, and every other try there after so I feel this is a good round for varmint and small game hunting as the center mass mark of most of the animals that fit that category and larger then a quarter sized target. heads shot on a squirrel for instance would be possible at that range.

The next round I chose was the Remington high velocity 40gr non jacketed rounds. These also performed reliably and garnered me roughly the same group size as the CCI but since they were non jacketed rounds they made more of a mess then I desire to clean. So I opted for the CCI the rest of the afternoon.

As for the rest of the afternoon I practiced moving targets standing shots bench rested knee rested and even ten shots off handed to see what i could do with this riffle.

My honest Opinion is that other then the small sized stock (most 22lr suffer this disease) and the heavy trigger pull, this riffle out of the box has some advantages to other choices. I wont knock the 10/22 as its fan base is lethally loyal. But it dose give you a bull barrel out of the box and a scope and comes in about 35 dollars cheaper.
    For the guy who simply wants a riffle out of the box with good accuracy (probably capable of a great deal better in the hands of a better marks man)
    and reliable quality (1000 rounds ,no cleaning, not a single jam or miss feed) then I would recommend this riffle to you. In comparison to the 10/22 Ruger
    The Remington 597 SS gives you a bit more bang for your buck. And looks good doing it to I might add. the darkly colored composite stock in contrast to the light colored brushed finished of the gun is pleasant to the eye and gives the unit a clean look (very sporting old chap indeed) Im happy with the purchase and feel i will enjoy this riffle for a long time to come. I plan on an update to this review after 20,000 rounds. We'll see how she holds up to some abuse and use.
    Edit/Delete Message
  2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

That is a pretty good review on the 597.
    I'll look forward to reading your next one.

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.
  3. donhudd

donhudd New Member

This review pretty much mirrors my initial views. I bought the laminate stock, heavy barrell version and other than the heavy trigger, the only flaw I found was that the mags only hold 9 rounds instead of 10.

I have only fired a couple hundred rounds thru it. My replacement hammer was shipped today. I am looking forward to the opportunity to try the new hammer.
  4. boticron

boticron New Member

What kind of price were you able to find for the hammer? And what type of ammo did you try out?
  5. donhudd

donhudd New Member

Bought volquartsen Hammer from Brownell for $45.65 to my door.

I shot CCI monimag HP, Federal Champion High Velocity, and Remington Target standard velocity.

All functioned perfectly. I got slightly better groups with the Mini Mag and Remington ammo . Ragged one hole ten shot groups at 25 yds. I am sure that I will shoot better with the new trigger , a better scope and practice. I have not shot a shoulder gun in more than 20 years.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  6. donhudd

donhudd New Member

MidwayUSA.com shows the Volquartsen hammer for the 597 on sale at $30.00
  7. donhudd

donhudd New Member

Installed Volquartsen hammer and it made a ton of difference. I do not have a trigger scale so I cannot give the actual weight but it reduced the pull by at least 50%. I will probably not get to the range until Tuesday to see how much difference it really makes.
  8. boticron

boticron New Member

Just took the Remington 597 out to the range at fort dix in new jersey. Its an outdoor range with a berm at 240 yard mark. Me and two friends of mine shot for about an hour at the 50 the 100 th 150 and the full 240 yards. I had my rifle and my other friends brought a marlin 60sn and my other friend had his ancient sears and roebuck bolt action. All of these are 22's.
    we were shooting cci high velocity rounds for most of the hour. The point of the day was to zero in the new scopes my other two friends had brought along. But for me the point was to see just how accurate at long range my 597 could be.
    At the hundred yard mark things were essentially the same as they were indoors. Only this time i had wind to contend with. But no worries. i was able to hit the mark at the 100 yd at will. I was nailing targets as small as !/2 in wood stock we had stuck into the ground. So I was happy but not surprised.
    But there was a surprise in store later in the hour when i began to get bored and started scanning the ground in our lane for anything i could shoot at. thats when i noticed a soda can out on the berm just begging to be shot at.
    First attempt was way off the mark about 2 feet too low. But thats understandable as my scope was zeroed for 100 yds. SO i began to compensate and took a few more shots and found that i could indeed hit the can at 240 yds pretty much at will. So after a mag or two I decided to see if i could zero it in on the scope. I found that this was also easy enough and i still have some clicks left to go out even further if need be.
    Now I have no experience with 22lr prior to owning this gun. But i Have asked alot of questions to those who do. One question I asked again and again is just how far will one of these shoot and be accurate. many answers from many different people lead me to believe that 150 yds would be the max accurate shot you could take. Well I busted that theory definitively.
    I didnt bother measuring my groups (it just wasn't that kind of day) but i would sumise that the soda can was about three inches wide and about 5 inches tall. and out at the 240 it was awful small in my sights. but since i was able to hit it with regularity i can safely say any animal that small inside 240 yards is in serious trouble of finding his was into my stew pot should he find himself in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    I will say a few words on the MARLIN 60SN. the stock was a bit smallish for me at first. But I quickly adjusted to its size. the scope was poor quality and suffered greatly from its size 20mm. Such small sight picture makes it difficult to use and therefore is a real downer to the deal. But the riffle itself was outstanding. Shot about 500 rounds through it with out a single mis feed or light hit in the bunch. it was accurate at the 100 yard mark to a satisfactory degree. Anything i could hit with my 597 i could hit with the Marlin 60sn. It was also much lighter as it is not equipped with a bull barrel and is slightly smaller then my 597. The trigger was crisp and broke at about half the weight of the 597 making it easier to maintain sight picture on the target. I firmly believe it would be a real nice out of the box performer if it weren't for the horrible scope. it would be a great starter gun for anyone wanting to acquaint themselves with the 22lr. Its easy to carry and fun to use. the reloading although time consuming did allow for 15 rounds in the tube. Which meant less frequent reloading. which does make the difference if your zeroing a riffle or trying to hit a hard shot and you keep missing (har har). Its an inexpensive riffle (I believe 120 American) and would make a great riffle for a novice or a youth gun. (sorry George you got a kids gun) But all in all i was satisfied with its performance and would have no doubt in the hands of some one practiced and well acquainted with its nuances would have no problem driving some tacks with the Marlin 60sn
  9. boticron

boticron New Member

still waiting to find out how that trigger job worked out don.
  10. donhudd

donhudd New Member

Installed Volquartsen hammer and it made a ton of difference. I do not have a trigger scale so I cannot give the actual weight but it reduced the pull by at least 50%. I really cannot tell any difference in group size attributed to the trigger. "IF" I can hold still until the shot breaks it groups real good. If I wiggle the groups open up corespondingly.
  11. board917

board917 New Member

You can get a laminate stocked 597 with a scope from just about any dicks sporting goods store for $149.
  12. donhudd

donhudd New Member

Just so there is no confusion between the term laminate and laminated, the Dicks Special is a plastic stock , not laminated wood.
  13. donhudd

donhudd New Member

Update on Volquartsen trigger in my 597.

The trigger pull weight went down but not enough to satisfy me. The trigger travel increased also, apparantly due to deeper engagement with the sear. I polished the notch on the factory hammer that engages the sear and re-installed the factory hammer. The pull weight seemed equal to the Volquartsen hammer and the extra travel was gone. This setup is crisp and short travel but still too heavy to suit me. The rifle is currently at a gunsmith to have springs replaced to lower the trigger weight.

I wish the Volquartsen hammer had produced the 2 to 3 # trigger other people claimed but it was still at least 5-6 # in my case. I will make someone a real deal on the hammer, $20 mailed to your door in the lower 48.
  14. donhudd

donhudd New Member

UPDATE

I took rifle to a gunsmith and he worked with the springs and the origional hammer. He got the pull down a couple of pounds but it was still heavy. I put the VQ hammer back in and the pull is now light and crisp. I am now a happy camper.
  15. 22newb

22newb New Member

I am new to guns in general and wanted to get a 22 as its a staple in anyones aresenal. I have a Remington shotgun and have loved it. I started looking at the 22's and I liked it a lot. I also looked(and shot) and Marlin(not sure which model), Ruger(10/22), and Henry(lever action). I didnt care for the Marlin as it seemed to jam quite a bit. I loved the Henry. It was smooth and shot very well. I also like the 10/22. I read the reviews of the Remington and was a little discouraged to see so many problems. As I realized most the reviews were older and related to the magazine, I started getting my confidence up in this gun. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and sent a 550 rnd box through it in a couple hours at the range. Not one single jam, even with the "lower quality" walmart ammo. So far its been awesome and will have to update this once I have
    field tested" the gun.
  16. waizen

waizen New Member

I have to say, I bought a 597 at Dicks as an impulse buy. It looks, at first glance, like a higher caliber hunting rifle and comes with the scope. It really is a sweat deal.

I can agree with the accuracy of this rifle. It really does make you look better than you are. You really don't need to buy anything extra to make it work better. If you want spare mags...no problem. WalMart carries them cheap.

...however...

I do have two little nit-picks with the 597:

1. I wish it came with strap hooks. You need to install them if you need them. I haven't yet because I'm not sure if the stock is hollow or not. Can anyone out there answer this for me?

2. Stripping this gun to clean is a little too much work to inspire going through the trouble regularly. Yes, I know 22lr's don't need as much cleaning as other guns, but it really could be made easier. Almost made it feel like a gunsmithing project to take apart for cleaning: between the hex screws to take out first and the two springs riding along two metal rails, both of which need to be taken out and, later put in and...

well, you get the picture. In the whole, it could be worse, but, really, the stripping process could have been designed better, considering this gun was meant to be a fun, simple experience. Way too many little parts to take off and put back on later on just to do maintenance.

Other than that, I really like this gun. It fires with very little recoil and quickly...feels like my kid's toy gun. And, it's really accurate.

It really is a long-term ownership gun.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2007
  17. guttersnipe

guttersnipe New Member

I ran across this info on thefiringling.com
    http://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-195491.html

"O.k. Ive Done This. Get A Regular Set Of Uncle Mikes Studs. One Is Made To Screw Into The Wood Butt Stock. On Your 597 Use That One For The Fore End. If You Take The Action Out Of The Stock You Will See That There Is A Pillar Of Plastic Where The Round Circle That You See Is. Drill An Under Sized Hole Into That Pillar And Screw In The Stud Made For The Butt Stock There. Next Pry Of The Butt Pad So You Can Get Into The Hollow Butt Stock Area. It Just Pops Off. Install The Other Stud Through A Hole Drilled Into The Hollow Cavity. This Stud Should Have A Nut Normally Used In A Fore End. Use It Inside The Butt Stock. Thats How I Did It."