Remington 597

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by shawnc, Aug 11, 2009.

1. shawnc

shawnc New Member

I have new Remington 597 22 lr that i have put less than 800 rounds through and this weekend i was out at the range and suddnly the extractor broke and when I say broke what I mean is that there is simply nothing left of it I just dont know where it went, the only thing left of the extractor mecinsam is the spring for it in the bolt. I love the accuracy and the feel of the rifle but if this it going to be the start of a trend i cant see keeping it. i guess what im asking is has anyone else ran into this and once i get it fixed would a simple extractor upgrade solve / prevent it from happining again. thanks.
  2. big steve

big steve New Member

Hi Shawn,

I to have the remington 597 and it it my favorite gun ever and by far the best .22lr I have ever shot. That is wierd that the extractor broke because I have definetly pu more than 800 rounds through mine and I have not had a problem. The only maintenance I have performed on the gun is cleaning it. You should be able to take it back to the store you got it and they should fix it or remington should fix. But no I dont think this will become a trend. Anything can happen with any gun

Regards, Steve
  3. shawnc

shawnc New Member

Thanks and yes Remington is taking care of and it like i said love the gun. The guy next to me at the range was shooting a 10 22 and couldnt believe how much more accurate the 597 was than his. At 100 yards i had already blown a hole the size of my fist in the target before the malfunction.
  4. big steve

big steve New Member

Yea the 597 is my favorite gun that I own by far it is a good size also for a .22lr it is the most accurate gun I have ever shot also. Like I said I have never had any problems with the gun andI think it is a great .22 I like it much better than any .22 rifle I have ever shot and also more than any gun I have ever shot. I am glad to hear Remington is fixing it they are a good company and its good that they are standing behind there product. But no I really dont think a trend will be started.

Regards, Steve
  5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I don't see this being a trend with the 597's. I have shot mine to the point that I need to replace the firing pin spring and firing pin. The pin is visibly worn down and is causing light strikes. This is of course after well over 10k rounds through the poor rifle. I was originally concerned about the plastic trigger housing but that has held up great. Considering that I have had to do nothing else to the rifle I would say it is very dependable. A couple of my friends bought theirs based on my experience with mine and are having nothing but great things to say.