Remington 700 Bolt Removal

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/20/01 3:40:57 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Remington 700 30-06 bolt question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please how do I get the bolt out of my new gun?

Yeah I know I could just call my friend and ask him - but there are only so many dumb questions I can ask of him in a week.

I can't really clean it properly till I get the bolt out.

AntiqueDr
    (10/20/01 3:48:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remington 700 30-06 bolt question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    On the Remington 700, bring the bolt to the rear. Now, on the underside of the gun you will see a small metal square piece just forward of the trigger inside the trigger guard. Press upward on that and remove the bolt to the rear.

Reassembly, just slide the bolt into the receiver.

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

TallTLynn
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (10/20/01 3:53:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remington 700 30-06 bolt question
    Thank you Doc.
  2. MIDNIGHT374

MIDNIGHT374 New Member

LOL. I just spent about 20 minutes trying to figure out the same thing. Dont feel bad. Not a dumb question. I kept looking , but missed that little button, only saw the one for the chamber release.
  3. kingjoey

kingjoey New Member

Make sure the button drops back down after you re-install the bolt or you'll pull the bolt straight into your face next time you use it. Sometimes the bolt takedown latch gets stuck :rolleyes:
  4. George Hosch

George Hosch New Member

You can also take down the bolt if you want to clean the firing pin,spring and firing pin chamber:
    1. Remove the bolt assembly from the firearm.
    2. For Models 700 and Seven: Put the notch on the firing pin head over a metal edge. Pull the bolt assembly
    away from the firing pin. Put a coin into the slot near the back edge of the firing pin head.
    For Model 710™: Rotate bolt plug clockwise 1/8th of a turn and remove the firing pin/bolt plug assembly.
    Note: When the firing pin is removed from the bolt assembly, the bolt head pin can be removed and the
    bolt head and bolt body can be separated. Skip step 3 and go directly to step 4 and 5.
    3. Hold the bolt assembly and turn the bolt plug counter-clockwise
    until the firing pin assembly can be removed from the bolt assembly.
    CAUTION: Clean the firing pin assembly as a unit.
    4. Clean all parts with gun cleaning solvent. Dry with a clean cloth.
    5. Apply a thin coat of Rem™ Oil.

TO ASSEMBLE:
    1. For Models 700 and Seven: Put the firing pin assembly into the
    rear of the bolt assembly.
    For Model 710: Assemble the bolt head to the bolt body and insert the bolt head pin. If assembled
    correctly, the bolt handle will be 180 degrees from the ejector, as viewed from the front.
    2. For Models 700 and Seven: Tighten the bolt plug into the bolt assembly with your hand.
    For Models 710: Put the firing pin assembly into the rear of the bolt assembly, aligning the firing pin head
    to the right of the small notch in the bolt body.
    3. For Models 700 and Seven: Pull the coin from the slot in the firing pin head.
    For Model 710: Press the bolt plug into the bolt body and rotate counter-clockwise until the firing pin
    head engages the small notch in the bolt body.
    4. For Models 700 and Seven: Turn the bolt plug until the firing pin head goes into the small notch on the
    rear rim of the bolt. The bolt is now cocked.
    NOTE: For Models 700 and Seven: The bolt must be cocked to be assembled into the rifle.
    For Model 710: If bolt assembly does not align with receiver, disassemble the bolt assembly, rotate the
    bolt head 180 degrees and reassemble.
    5. For Models 700 and Seven: Assemble the bolt assembly into the rifle.
  5. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    When all else fails, read the directions.
  6. TnGlen

TnGlen New Member

:mad:...ROFL

Thanks for this thread. Was wondering the same thing. Bought my Model Seven on a whim at a local gun shop during a sale several years ago. Had loaned it to a friend who shot it a couple of times and took excellent care of it. I had never had to clean it post shooting. Killed a deer over Thanksgiving and only shot it once but it needed to be cleaned. Was at a loss on how to get the bolt out. Thanks again for the thread!