remington 700 trigger adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by matty, Mar 6, 2005.

1. matty

matty New Member

:D does anyone know how to adjust the trigger pressure on a remington model 700 in 30-06? the trigger is a little stiff for me and i would like a good trigger pull between 3 and 4 pounds. i would like to do it myself if possible as the only gunsmith in town is expensive, busy, and not that good from what i hear. thanks!!! :D
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Matty:

The trigger assembly includes the trigger, the sear, and springs to control it. The sear sits on a ledge on the trigger and as you squeeze the trigger you make the sear to move off that ledge. The engagement is in the order of 0.025 inches (pretty small). The amount you pull the trigger (after resistance is felt) before it releases (called the creep) can be limited if that engagement is made to be less. But if you go too far just slamming the bolt closed or a bump to the gun or setting the safety may fire the gun . That is why that adjustment should only be made by a knowledgeable person, like the factory.

The pressure required to move the trigger is in part caused by the trigger return spring. It is adjustable but again too low and the gun is unsafe. Finally, the amount the trigger travels after the gun fires is called the overtravel. It too is adjustable but if you limit it too much a change in temperature might effect the clearances enough that the gun will not fire at all.

It is obvious that all three adjustment must be done correctly and in concert with each other. The resultant pull should be measured with a trigger pull gauge so as to not adjust it too low and make it unsafe. While I adjust all my triggers I have spent many years in a study of guns, reading everything published, and totally understanding how every trigger works before attempting to adjust any of them. The basic Remington 700 trigger is very adjustable and can be made to work very well. You could just adjust the trigger pull adjustment but how would you know if you got out of the factory's minimum trigger pull design specification if you don't gauge it and know how low you can actually go. A good gunsmith will have adjusted so many of those Remington triggers that he will know the limits.

Pay the gunsmith to avoid a safety issue or start your study of the Remington trigger so as to be sure you are adjusting it correctly. Any adjustment to the trigger is a liability issue. Any gun accident is likely to be deemed your fault by the courts if you fool with the trigger adjustment. And they will know you fooled with it yourself as the factory uses paint to lock the adjustments in place. Your Remington warrantee may also be voided by playing with the trigger (thats what they say but the reality of it may be different).

LDBennett
  4. deeplake

deeplake New Member

Hello...this is the site I use for Remington 700 trigger adjustments
    Varminthunters.com/tech/crisp.html