Remington 721

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by 48Woody, Dec 16, 2011.

1. 48Woody

48Woody New Member

Hello; wasn't sure if I should post here or the technical forum.

Its been about 15 or so years since I last went hunting for deer. I have a Rem 721 in 30-06 (stock, except for a Canjar set trigger that was installed) that I used to shoot. It was pretty accurate at the time. I used to reload, mostly 45 and 44mag for my pistols but also reloaded the 06. I had good accuracy with bullets in the 165gr range, btsp's . I think I was using H4350 or similar powder

I can get re-barreling done locally for a reasonable price. I would appreciate any opinions as to barrel length,weight, twist, etc. Also any opinions on rechambering at the same time. I don't think I would need anything larger than the 06 but thought about 300 win mag. Most of the hunting would be for deer size game here in north central NH. Shots can range from less than 50 yards in heavy cover to maybe 300yds in open hardwoods or fields. Not sure I would take any longer shots, though I may have the opportunity to shoot in PA or out west in MN or the Dakotas. Any thoughts about optics would be appreciated too, my budget for them would be $400 or less. Know this is a lot to ask so thanks in advance for any opinions and ideas
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Id go 22" #4 or #5 contour 10 twist and keep it .30-06. And as for optics, a Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14X40 with BDC. About a 320 dollar piece of glass and with a good mount should still keep you beneath your 400 dollar optic budget. Most important thing is to ensure the smith that does your rebarreling beds the action from the tang to the recoil lug and maybe even an inch or 2 of the barrel under the chamber. Being a LA cartridge Id do 2" and free float the rest with at least .050" clearance. Most of my builds have between .050" and .100" clearance between the barrel and forestock.

That should give you a relatively light and handy sporter that will balance right at the magwell, which will bring you a happy medium between a good brush gun and a 400 yard hunting rig. And with the BDC reticle you wont have to dope the elevation out to 500, only wind drift.
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Stay with the standard bolt face. Any of the belted mags will require bolt face modifications as well as the new barrel.

Keeping .30/06 is a pretty good idea, but if you feel you need more punch consider .338/06 or .35 Whelen Ackley Improved.
  4. 48Woody

48Woody New Member

Thanks for the info. I hope to start this project after the first of the year. I like the versatility and range of components available for the 30-06 so I'll probably stay with it. More than enough power for what I will be hunting. If I get lucky enough to get out west and need someething bigger I'll look for another weapon.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The 180 barnes X will drop anything south of the north pole and north of the equator at .30-06 velocity.
  6. 48Woody

48Woody New Member

Hello again

Looked at the Nikon scopes. they are in the price range I'm at right now. would love some others but limited cash flow at this time of year. What are peoples thoughts on the Millett scopes. they seem to be in about the same price range. I've also looked at some used scopes. Some appear to have little use and may be worth looking at. Is the Nikon , Monarch series better than the buckmaster. Sorry about all the questions. Been some time since I looked at scopes. the last I had was a Redfield 3x9. Just so many options

thanks
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I like the buckmaster series. They are sleek and lightweight. The monarchs are good too, btu im not sure they are any better than the buckmasters. Only more expensive.

Millett makes a robust scope for the money. And are geared around the tactical market. Most of the millet scopes are very large scopes and probably arent suitable for a light handy hunting rig. But they are good scopes none the less. Of the millets, I like the buck gold fine hair.
  8. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

The new Redfields are definitely worth a look, too. I was sort of wondering why you want to rebarrel your 721 - I re read your post and am still not sure..................
  9. 48Woody

48Woody New Member

Actually for the amount I would likely fire this gun, the replaceing of the barrell is not sometahing that is needed. the stock barrell is light and I remember years ago when sighting in and doing some pre season shooting, also firing a number of rounds, I found the grouping expanded and became more erratic as the barrell heated. I realize hunting I would hope to only fire one round, maybe two. So heat would not be a problem. Just thought I might do it in case I get the opportunity to do more shooting. I would probably spend my first $ on a good scope, as I could live with this barrell.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yes, by all means get the optics first. If all you will ever do with it is kill game then there is no need to rebarrel if the factory tube is still putting the bullets in the X ring on sigh tin.
  11. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Before you eventually take the plunge on changing out the barrel, consider the specifics of the groups you shoot with it, and what happens as the barrel heats up and the groups expand. If the groups become just plain "erratic" with the warmer barrel, and if you are beginning to use the rifle in some manner that would generally cause it to heat up often, then a barrel swap may be in order. If, however, there is some "directional change" as the barrel heats up - meaning, if the shots begin to expand in one direction - get higher, or farther right/left, or lower (unlikely, btw) then the issue is most likely one of bedding, and not the barrel specifically. If the groups "string" in a single expanding direction, SOMETHING is affecting the barrel as it heats; pressure on the barrel or (less likely) the action. Bedding the recoil area, opening up the barrel channel, etc, are possible alternatives to a barrel swap. I have had rifles that have changed in each manner, as they heat; some string in one direction, and others have just simply "become erratic." With the ones that strung, I changed bedding and barrel channel affects, with significant improvements. With the ones that were just plain "scatter guns" after they got warm; some I eventually got rid of, others I rebarreled, and one I just plain "left alone" because it was a 6 pound rifle that I had purposely built to BE a 6 pound rifle, and it was consistent for the first 3-4 shots, and the "warm spread" was as much the result of the extra light "whippy" barrel, and the extremely light weight of the synthetic stock, which very likely could have begun to flex as it warmed. Like I said - depends on how you intend to USE it. If it were a varmint rifle, where dozens of shots in a relatively short period of time were the norm, it would be an issue; for a big game rifle where a shot or two into a deer would be the norm, then its a non-issue. Good luck and enjoy shooting it; the 721 & 722 rifles were excellent, serviceable arms, that should last many MANY generations. :)
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Very well put ITW.
  13. 48Woody

48Woody New Member

Thanks for all the info. now one of my winter projects is to get this rifle back together. The original stock was cracked when I got it. Picked up a synthtic one a number of years ago and fitted it. I will go back over it to make sure it really is fitting correctly, bed it. get a good scope and go from there.

Hope you all are having a great Chrismas
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to you woody. God bless you and yours.