Remington 7400 Wont Go Into Battery

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 23, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

the real fredneck
    (11/22/01 9:37:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Remington 7400 Jam-a-matic
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My B-I-L is still having problems with his 7400, after a thorough cleaning it fired a couple of mags without a hitch now it will eject the empty case and load the next one except the action dosen't quite lock up problem is there's no rhyme or reason to it, sometimes it works perfect sometimes it does it on the second round sometimes the third sometimes the last he has had the gun for 2 yrs now (bought it used unknown history) last year it worked perfect I'm thinking it's got to be the gun, ammo, or magazine he's tried 2 kinds of ammo Winchester and Remington didn't seem to make a difference and there's nothing obvious like shell hitting the feed ramp any suggestions on what to look for or what it might be?

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/22/01 10:21:05 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Remington 7400 Jam-a-matic
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I would first look at the barrel, barrel nut and foreend stabilizer position and tightness. Also, the bolt carrier and bolt alignment. Then be sure the recoil spring is not kinked.

How far out of battery does the bolt stop? Will forward pressure on the bolt handle put it into battery? When it goes into battery, does the bolt rotate or go straight forward?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

the real fredneck
    (11/23/01 12:06:25 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Remington 7400 Jam-a-matic
    Doc
    We got it back together right no indication of kinked spring or anything like that. B-I-L says the bolt just almost closes but forward pressure won't always bring it to battery. I haven't had the chance to see this malfunction in action but he says the bolt still has a little bit of rotation left it's just not quite locking up which was the reason for the cleaning which seemed to fix the problem but it came back in less than a box of shells

AntiqueDr
    (11/23/01 6:14:22 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Well, that would be one of those "have to see it" deals. If it were to come in for repair, I'd have to duplicate the problem and see where it is binding. Best take it in to a reputable smith, with a box of ammo.

www.apaxenterprises.com

the real fredneck
    (11/23/01 8:01:15 am)
    Doc
    How sensitive are those things to ammo? last year when it was filthy and working fine B-I-L was using 150gr ammo this year 180gr or could leaving the mag loaded have put a set in the mag spring? He's talking about trading it off (of course nobody around here would give him anything for it if he wants to get rid of one everyone knows there must be something wrong with it, life in a small town) you don't have a Remington pump 30/06 to trade on do you? carbine perfered

AntiqueDr
    (11/23/01 9:49:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Yep. Have a new Remington 7600 Carbine, matte finish, synthetic stocks, .30-06. Email me.

antiquedr@apaxenterprises.com

www.apaxenterprises.com

the real fredneck
    (11/23/01 10:02:25 am)
    Doc you have mail