Remington 760 Disassembly

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

bobacle117
    (12/19/02 1:55:58 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All 760 Remington Gamemaster Pump Removal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am currently restoring the stock and pump stock on my Remington 760 Gamemaster and I have a problem. I can not figure out how to remove the pump stock from the slide. I don't want to break anything so if anyone can tell me how to remove this piece of wood from the slide action it would be appreciated, along with any other tips on re-finishing the stock.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/19/02 5:06:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 760 Remington Gamemaster Pump Removal
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi bobacle117....Welcome to TFF.

Keep checking back.....one of our Remington guys should be along shortly.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/19/02 5:31:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: 760 Remington Gamemaster Pump Removal
    I am not for sure but when you take the gun apart you should be able to remove the slide assemble from the action. Once it is off you should be able to see how it is attatched fromt he inside. Probably screws that secure to action bars to the wood.

Go here www.remington.com/default and click on support in the top right corner. A drop down menu will show up with a couple different choices that should get you an answer.

You can probably get an owners manual here also.

In 49 states ignorance is a crime. In the other one it is bliss.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/20/02 10:01:39 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: 760 Remington Gamemaster Pump Removal
    Don't know if this will help, but here's an exploded view:www.okiegunsmithshop.com/rem760.jpg

And here's that Remington Support page: www.remington.com/support/support.htm

Edited by: Xracer at: 12/20/02 10:40:10 am
  2. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

The barrel has to be removed, then the action slide and bolt can be removed through the front of the receiver.
  3. The Rifleman

The Rifleman Former Guest

WRONG!

To take the slide off the Remington 760 Gamemaster all you have to do is take the slotted screw out of the end of the forearm cap.

Then all you have to do is put some rags inside the action of the gun with the pump open and pull up on the forearm.

Usually most owners never take it off and after 20 or 30 years it tends to rust to the pump tube. You have to be careful not to try to do it with the action closed because it has some clearance issues as it travels up the barrel. Especially if it is stuck to the pump tube.

To take the stock off, all you have to do is take the butt plate off and use a long slotted screw driver and a crescent wrench - usually they have red or blue loctite holding the screw.

To remove the barrel, pump tube and action - bolt out of the reciever. All you have to do is heat the pump tube where the small holes are at - near the bottom of the pump tube. Then when you get it very hot - take a small drift punch and put it inside the holes. I think they were 3/32 of 1 inch - But I cannot remember for sure. The pump tube is RED LOCTITE to the reciever. You almost cannot remove it any other way! The best way is in a gun vise or a machinst vise with carpeting to keep the reciever from getting damaged from the jaws of the vise.

The barrel is usually shimmed behind the lug that holds it to the action. You have to make sure to put the shim back in to have the proper head spacing.

Sometimes the stock is also shimmed at the action and you have to make sure to put that shim back in also!

The bolt pulls out when you remove the barrel and the slides with the pump tube. The hardest part of putting it back together is getting the dust cover back in place in front of the bolt.

If it has a steel dust cover - you can replace it with a plastic one if you do not like it ratteling when you walk through the woods...

You have to remove the trigger before you can remove the bolt and you have to put the trigger back in last after you assemble the gun...
  4. funkyrabbit

funkyrabbit New Member

What timing, I have a 760 I am trying to get the forend off to replace it with a new one. I just can't seem to get the old one off. I have tried the info above, but have had no luck removing the forend.
  5. sakredchao

sakredchao New Member

Hello,

I know very little about firearms. I recently recieved my grandfathers' remington gamemaster 760 from my father. He had it up in the rainforest of juneau alaska for about 15 years. He used it a couple of times and tried to clean it the best he could, but could never figure out how to get the bolt out to clean it all the way.

I would like to clean it thoroughly and restore it to prime working order. Is this a bad beginner project?

I have 2 other firearms, a montgomery ward singleshot .22 and a .32magnum revolver. This rifle is far more complicated, but I am interested in learning. If I were to purchase an owners manual, would that take the trickiness away?

thanks in advance!

kim
  6. paul yakupzack

paul yakupzack New Member

After carry my model 760- 30.06 thru swamps, woods and marshes in LAfor 34 years I managed to break the forend wood. i have received a new forend and am having problems getting the forend cap screw to unscrew out of the action tube ring --the entire action tube ring uncrewed from the action tube and spins without unscrewing! the old forend came off after the rags in the open action suggestion in this string. now how do I get that forend cap screw to uncsrew out of the action tube ring?? if someone wants to call me 985-232-6929
  7. paul yakupzack

I have come up with 2 possible solutions to my problem. First i can loctite the threads on the action tube ring, let it stand for a few days then try to unscrew the forend cap screw. if that does not work. i can drill a small hole about 3/16 into the action tube ring thru the hole on the top side of the old forend. once drilled I'll insert a pin to keep it from turning while i unscrew the forend cap screw. anyone have any better ideas or suggestions?? 985-232-6929
  8. paul yakupzack

the blue Loctite worked, i let it set for several days , i backed off the forend cap screw and installed the new forend with no problems.
  9. The Great Greenie

The Great Greenie New Member

Ahhh, I've been researching my newly inherited 760 30.-06 for a while - even had some shop guys look at it - never figured out the proper way to get the barrel off - I the screw off of the forearm and popped that off now problem... but the barrel must be stuck - so what I'm hearing here is to use some force??? My father in law (previous owner) takes great care of his guns, but he does live in FL - even though the entire rifle is looking pretty damn mint, could that barrel just be rusted to the action?

Thanks to whomever can help
  10. bigbud

bigbud New Member

I had no trouble with the disassembly and cleaning of my remington 760, but I would sure like to know the Rifleman's trick (if there is one) for getting the plastic dust cover back in the receiver.
  11. Harleydog

Harleydog New Member

bigbud,
    The dust cover goes on easiest when you put the action and barrel back in, but you can get it on by holding the bolt back a bit with a small dowel and working the dust cover over the charging handle then insert the dust cover bottom first between the bolt and the receiver. When the cover is in the proper position you can snap (hard) the top into place. Sometimes you need to use a punch and small hammer to get things together.
  12. bigbud

bigbud New Member

Thanks Harleydog. I will give your suggestion a try. I tried to get the cover in when I was reassembling the action, but just couldn't seem to figure how to get it in the right position. I don't mind taking it apart again to get the cover in if you have a suggestion as to how to line it up. Thanks again.
  13. YOTEwhacker

YOTEwhacker New Member

Does anyone have a suggestion to what tool would work best for removing the slotted screw at the end of the forend cap? ive tried jus about every flathead and it seems the more i try to closer to stripping the screw i am so currently the project of replacing the stock and forend are at a standstill :( any suggestions?