Remington 760

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by carlbirt, Apr 20, 2011.

1. carlbirt

carlbirt New Member

Hello seing as im new here i dont know if this is the right palce for it or not but i think it is looking at some of the other posts here. I have a remington 760 in 30-06 as far as i can tell it was made some were in the 50s or 60s and im looking to see if i can get it driled and taped for a scope.

Is this posable and will it effect the weapon's value at all. I'm not looking at selling it anytime soon seeing as I love this weapon and love shoting it. I just dont want to ruin it for my childern and so on.
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I had a Remington 7400 of that time period just after they stopped making the 742. I had my smith drill it out and put a good scope on it, which never failed me. Contrary to a loss of value, it could enhance the value. It would depend on the buyer. One who likes glass for hunting would pay more having a good optic already in place.

Unfortunately, mine was lost in a break-in twenty some odd years ago. Replaced it with a Browning BLR Lightning.
  3. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

Most Remington 760's came from the factory drilled and tapped on the top of the receiver for a scope mount. Only the first few years of production in the early to mid 50's came without these holes. NOW, there are a couple different ways to look at this - the ones without factory holes are relatively uncommon. IMHO, since the 760s and 7600s are EVERYWHERE, it will quite possibly cost you LESS to sell the current one to someone who WANTS a "no holes" one for a collection, and purchase another used one with the holes already in it. If you have a 'Smith drill and tap the 4 holes it will need, it will cost you around $80-$100 to do so. Unless the "no holes" rifle you already have is in very poor cosmetic condition, or you got it for a real "steal" of a price, paying to have it drilled and tapped seems to be "throwing away" more $. Just my personal thoughts. I am sure that there are other opinions and perspectives that you will find on here, if you give everyone a few days to respond.
  4. carlbirt

carlbirt New Member

Thank you both for the input. but after doing some asking around and such with the family the value thing can be forgoten...(was my great uncle's first rifle) so there realy is no price tag to put on it. This rifle will be in the family for a long time.