Remington 770, Gold or Junk

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bizy, May 28, 2009.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I just bought a remington 770, new in the box. The bolt feels like it has sand in it. very 'scratchy'.. I paid $379, it sounded like a good deal. My son paid $879 for his Rem 700. His bolt feels smoother. What should I do to get my bolt to feel smoth?

In your opinion, is the 770 "JUNK" or "GOLD"?

Thanks in advance...
  2. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

I have a rem. 770 in 243 cal. with a redfield scope. It is mint condition with a beautiful piece of wood on it. Unfortunately, I have never shot it. Unless you want to stay up all night cyote hunting, there is nothing you can use them for in INdiana. I would think in todays market the money is about right. The 770's don't seem to be as prized by collectors as say a winchester model 70, but I am very pleased with the looks and action on mine. It has 3 locking lugs on the bolt and seems very secure. I wouldn't call them junk, just not highly coveted.
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

I looked at one yesterday and didnt feel the scratchy that you describe, maybe you should find another and see if it is the same way?
  4. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Gold, or 'junk'?
    Somewhere between copper and silver. :) One get's what one pays for.
  5. bizy

bizy New Member

Just to clarify, I got a can of WD40 squirted the bolt and action good and jacked the bolt in and out until my arm was ready to fall off. I used the scope that came with the rifle and stepped out to my gun range. After 12 shots I was putting 3 rounds in a 1.5 inch pattern. The bolt or action I guess had a burr of a sort. Now I am very pleased with my $379 investment. And, it is as smooth as my AR and just as accurite..
  6. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

So it was sorta a "kit" project, LOL!
  7. johnboat

johnboat New Member

most firearms are shipped with some sort of heavy protectant on most moving parts so it sounds like u probbly rinsed it off w/the wd 40 however make sure u clean and reoil w a higher grade oil i have had bad long term results on metals when using wd40 as a primary lubericant but it does seem to free gritty moving parts pretty well just doesnt stay very long slick 50 lube is a very good alternitive that i have found it is clear and a lot thicker and i have never had any adverse effects on anthing,:) usually finish wipe with a good treated gun cloth before storage .
  8. ceader savage

ceader savage New Member

buy a stevens better then what you got my idea any way .i don't like the new remingtons there just don't feel right adl.or bdl eather also a marlin there new bolt what a gun