Remington 770?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by carver, Sep 22, 2011.

1. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Good advice form all, even though some of it differs on make, and model. I am now, more than ever, convienced that I will be shopping at the used gun racks. I suppose that what I meant by "They don't make em like they used to" was in part that back in the 60's they didn't have bargain basement guns like they do today. The choices were a lot more limited, and everyone tried to sell a gun that was whorth having. I have bought several cheap guns in the past hoping that function, and accuracy would be there, and it wasn't.
  2. dragman

dragman New Member

I don't like the 770 at all I have seen to many that wouldn't shoot well and or broke. I do think the Savage Axis at the same price point or lower is a much better option and you can almost always get 1/2 MOA groups out of them.
  3. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I found it! The Remington 700 VTR. I was at Bass Pro Shop last night looking for a bipod, and thought I would ask the sales person behind the desk about a good .308. We talked a little about the guns on the rack, but when he pointed out the Remington, we didn't go any further. I've been looking around on the net all morning, hunting for the gun I was looking at, but the closest I have come is the one in the pic, but it's still not the gun I was looking at. The one in the picture is green, with black overmold grips, and the one I was looking at is grey, with black overmold grips, and a Satin Black Oxide barrel. Tactical-style barrels are 1 in 12" twist for the 308 caliber. $599 Now I need to contact my dealer to see if he can get the grey/black rifle, and at what cost. The next step will be a Red Field scope to mount on it!

Attached Files:

4. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

You cant go wrong with the Redfield scopes. They are an excellent value, and they are currently made in the US by Leupold. In todays market, there are a plethora of "good" rifles that are made in a similar manner to the Savage, with the "barrel nut" assembly rather than with the barrel threaded into the action. The Marlin X7, the Stevens 200, the Mossberg/Maverick 100, etc. They are all capable of excellent accuracy, and the Marlin has the best trigger of the lot. I have no experience with the Axis, so I cant comment on them SPECIFICALLY, however. If you look around, check the online gun auction sites and go to any local gun shows of size, however, you should be able to find a Remington ADL for a reasonable price as well. Let us know how you make out, and what you finally select. Best of luck.