Remington 81

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dennis53, Apr 23, 2003.

1. dennis53

dennis53 New Member

Hello;

I have a Remington Model 81 in .300 savage, serial #153xx.

Could you tell me when it was made?

Also, where would I look for a rear peep sight for this gun?
  2. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Welcome dennis53...!

Can only narrow it down to 1936-1950...56,071 manufactured...with the serial number you gave, I reckon ya got an early one...there are 5 different grades listed...Which one do ya have?...
  3. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Whhooops!...

Have you tried Brownell's yet for the rear sight?...:)
  4. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

Your Remington 81 will have a date code on the left side of the barrel near where it meets the receiver. It will be a single letter followed by another single letter or pair of like letters.

The Model 81 was factory drilled/tapped for an aftermarket tang sight on the rear hump of the receiver. Sights were made by both Marble's and Lyman, but neither company still catalogs that model. In fact, expect to pay rather handsomely if you locate one. Persistent Google searches and auction searches on the gun auctions and even eBay are probably your best bet on the sight.
  5. dennis53

dennis53 New Member

Thanks for all the info. The date code on the left side is 'PK'.

I tried Brownells, but all they have are sights that replace the rear ramp.

I'm not sure which of the 5 grades applies to this gun. What are the criterion?

Thanks again,
    Dennis
  6. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

June 1941.

The differing grades involved more highly-figured wood and engraving. If yours is just regular old blued steel and walnut, then it is the standard model (most are).
  7. fletchbutt152

fletchbutt152 New Member

Everything about the Model 81

No, I don't know everything about the Model 81 .300 Savage

My gramp owns one, probably one off the best kept guns I've ever seen, new or used (I'm not kiddin', this think is immaculate).

Anyway, I believe there hasn't been a better deer gun made...at least from our family experiences. My gramp has one with a drop out box clip that I guess they made few of? I happen to now another gentleman that owns a Model 81 just like my gramps and am wondering where to find an extra mag for it. He happened to lose it somewhere along the way.

Also wonderin' what its worth. If anyone has one they want to sell, let me know.

P.S. Any info on the gun would be greatly appreciated. I've got all the numbers off the gun if anyone can help me track it. Thanks,
    Phil