Remington 870 Express Synthetic 28" Question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by MentalParadox, Sep 30, 2012.

1. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Hey there. I bought a remington 870, but it turned out it had a 28" barrel. As buying a new barrel is illegal in my country, I have no choice but to buy magazine extensions to make the mag tube equal in length (or *slightly* shorter) to the barrel. I want them to be equal because I find it aesthetically pleasing. I was wondering, what extension should I buy? It's a 5 (4+1) shot shotgun with a pretty long barrel, so probably more than 5, I guess.

Also, it's a black express synthetic. It'd be nice if the extension was black too.
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What country are you in, and Welcome to the forum!
  3. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Thanks =)

I'm from Belgium. Compared to the States, we have pretty strict gun laws. :(
  4. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I bought the 5 round extension from Choate (spelling?), love it; puts weight forward and it swings almost like an over/under and smooths out your swing plus gives you the extra capacity. It comes within about a 1/2" of the end of a 28" barrel.

[​IMG]

sorry, this is the best pic I have of mine loaded to photobucket, ignore the 590 below

[​IMG]
  5. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

OK, so more like an inch or so from the end of the barrel. A 26 would be too short by about 1/2" with this extension
  6. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Oh man, I got it wrong. It's a 26" barrel. So I guess there's no extension that fits the 26" perfectly? What a shame.

I'm still pissed that the guy I bought this gun off ordered the wrong shotgun from Remington. I wanted the 870 express synthetic 7-shot 18" (with the 2-shot extension included). But he "misunderstood" (and denies it) and bought me this impractical behemoth.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

oh, gotcha. Yeah, that extension will stick past about 1/2" with the 26 but a 4 round would be ideal if you wanted to max out the tube underneath. you're wanting a shorter barrel though, sucks that you got the wrong gun!
  8. carver

carver Moderator

Cut the barrel back to 18 1/2". Then purchase something like this: http://damageusa.com/product/magazine-extension-remington-870-12-gauge-parkerized
  9. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

That would be illegal. I'd go to prison for that.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Tha sux.. I think id move away from belgium.
  11. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

I wouldn't.

But let's not turn this into a political debate. I guarantuee you it wouldn't end well.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

so you will get in trouble for moving away from belgium too?
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its only politics if you make it so.. Im just curious.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

In this post you state that you wanted to order an 18" barrel! So what's the deal? You can buy one, but you can't alter the one you have?
  15. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

I need to request a new permit for a new gun, or for a new barrel. Legally speaking it's the same thing. And requesting a permit costs 120 bucks and can take up to 6 months. So no, I'm not too keen on that. Also, if I request a new permit; the government will get suspicious of my motives. They could ban me for life just for that.
  16. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

this is a good reminder for us to fight for what we have left here in the states!

best wishes to ya, I hope you can find a way to get the gun you wanted without getting squished on gun ownership completely.
  17. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I aint ever even been to belgium, but I promise, based on the description of thier retarded gun regs, ill never go there.

Good luck to ya..
  18. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Ehr yeah, thanks. It's just that I don't think my country deserves to be bashed because of ONE law you don't like.
  19. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

I must admit that I did not know Belgian gun laws were so strict, after the events earlier this century I would have thought the gun laws would be modeled after Switzerland. Oh well, learn from history or repeat it.

With regard to your magazine extension tube, would your laws permit you to have a machinist fabricate one to fit your gun? You could have the length you want and out of the material you want (steel or aluminum) with any weight you want to balance the shotgun in your hands.
    Just a thought.

Also, could you have the barrel cut in length and threaded for choke tubes? Your behemoth can be a very practical sporting/defense gun with a little careful work.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  20. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Yeah, we have had a few psycho's in the past few years that killed a lot of people. Gun laws have been getting worse with every incident, as legal gun owners are targeted (instead of people buying illegal weapons that are usually used in crimes) by our leftist government.

Both options are illegal.

But I think I've come to a decision. I'm gonna bite the bullet and get a permit for a new 18,5" barrel. Then I'll buy the +2 round magazine extension and tadaaa! I got my synthetic 7-shot :D

Actually, I think that's another question. Can I just replace the barrel with another one? Will it even fit? The man I order these parts is pretty clueless and I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up buying me an incompatible barrel...
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012