Remington 870 Express Synthetic 28" Question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by MentalParadox, Sep 30, 2012.

1. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Almost surprised you can own guns at all at that rate. Yes, you can swap barrels, if you go that route do try for screw in chokes if available. Why the 18.5 barrel?
    Seems that you would have to file paperwork before using a gun for defense.... Just curious about your intended use.
  2. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

"Defense" is illegal. If you even DARE mention "defense", it's entirely likely you will get a ban from owning firearms for life. The only accepted (if you're lucky) uses for guns are sports (at a gun range, and ONLY there) and for hunting (if you can prove you're a professional hunter). You need lots of licenses and permits to prove both. It took me a year just to get a temporary license, which allows me to shoot, but NOT buy a weapon (only in .22).
    Currently I have a license to shoot all categories of firearms, but you still need permits for every individual gun (a license and a permit are not the same, legally speaking).

I was under the impression 18,5" was a fairly standard length. The 26" is a nightmare for moving around indoors. It's just too long, and I'm not a very tall person (5' 6"). What would the choke do? My main goal is to get a 18" long barrel and a magazine that fits flush.

This is what I eventually want to get: http://www.remington.com/products/f...-870/model-870-express-synthetic-7-round.aspx
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  3. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

That's a fantastic option for a home defense gun IMO, I have a special place in my heart for the old 870. The barrels are interchangeable with the 870 models.

choke tubes would give you a huge advantage of range over standard cylinder bore. A skeet choke or at least improved cylinder will keep your pattern a bit tighter and allow for longer shots/hits.

most people want the thing to scatter shot everywhere at close range but at 15' it doesn't really make much difference. but much past 25yds, cylinder bore is mostly worthless with shot compared to a moderate choked gun.
  4. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

I just looked around on the Remington site, and I couldn't find the 18 1/2" barrel. Seems like you can't order that one seperately. And if I can't find it, neither can the painfully incompetent store clerk.
  5. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=11941

I guess I will still ask what you have in mind, 18.5" on a shotgun barrel is not the best bird gun of them all, 22-24 inches would likely be more practical for any field hunting. Screw in chokes help you maintain a pattern at varying ranges depending on constriction of choke and type of shot. How familiar are you with shotguns?
    The 18 " barrel would generally be concidered a "riot gun" and not a hunting gun.
    If there is a gun club about that you could learn at or practice at you may want to get more familiar with the gun and shotguns in general before going any farther; especially in light of the issues purchasing firearms in your corner of the world.

Find a few reviews and shooting tips here:http://www.americanrifleman.org/

Maybe this will be of help:http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=1842&cid=12
  6. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Bird hunting? I do no such thing. I don't even have a license for hunting =D

It's real simple. I wanted the 7-shot because:

1) looks nice because the magazine fits flush with the 18 1/2" barrel
    2) self defense gun (I *want* it for this purpose, but list "sports" so the government won't give me a hard time). So yeah, I'm after a riot gun.

Because I didn't get the default 7-shot, I am trying to re-create it by installing the 18 1/2" barrel and +2 extension...
  7. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Another suggestion is (provided there is a skeet club near you) to have your shotgun "fitted" to your build. Fitting a gun will not only make recoil more manageable, it will make the gun balance more naturally in your hands. In most bird hunting the 26" barrel is a standard, it serves for close/moderate range shooting and is acceptable in skeet as it is easy to swing. A gunsmith or armorer who is familiar with shotguns would likely be the best person to talk to, good luck.
  8. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

But I'm not a bird hunter! :p

Sadly, modifying your weapon like that is illegal.

Oh, look. I'm going to try and return this thing, and then just buy the one I wanted. A mountainload of paperwork, but at least I'll get what I want.
  9. CJ_56

CJ_56 New Member

First I think you're over reacting to the length of the shotgun. You can get extensions that will make it look the way you want too. And you can also get a laser to add onto the end of your extension that looks like part of the extension so that extension that was 2" too short would look almost perfect.

But any long gun used inside is going to be hard to deal with. Sure it won't be as hard but the whole trick to HD is to have your firearm pointed the right direction in the first place. You don't want to be doing a sweep of your house unless you must. Find a safe zone and protect yourself from there. I have a spot where I will be hiding behind several major appliances (freezer, refrigerator, hot water heater, washer and dryer stacked on each other and a block wall with nothing behind it but dirt). There's a spot where I will be able to hide there and point my shotgun out a direction that will be safe to fire it (another block wall on the other side of the house with only dirt behind it). Nothing short of burning down my house is ever going to get me out of my "fort". If they burn you out there's no way to defend against that anyway.

Then there's the fact you can load a LOT of ammo in a long mag tube like the one that would fit under that shotgun. Talk about a riot gun. You'll be able to load 10 rounds in that tube most likely. That's a lot of firing.

It's not what you want. I get that. I have a 20" barrel on my Express. BTW you can order barrels from after market suppliers that are 18.5". I don't think you have that many options. That's the way liberalism is. BTW I don't judge your country "just" on one law either. They have lots of liberal laws I don't like. ;)

That's because the Express models "are" 870's. And they are extremely effective at HD too.
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I have always wanted a leopard gun. Maybe ill go pay my tax stamp for a SBS and make me one outta my coachgun.
  11. jce07a

jce07a New Member

depending on your intended purposes (bird hunting, sporting clays, skeet, trap, etc.) an 18 inch barrel compared to a 26 or 28 inch barrel isnt going to make a whole lot of difference. if you're claiming it as a "sporting rifle" on your paperwork and are actually going to use it in your home then i can see a possible complaint about the extra 10 inches but otherwise it isnt going to make much difference. despite what hollywood says, shortening the barrel isnt going to expand your shot spread dramatically...not movie dramatic anyways. the spread can be more effected by your choke. here is an example chart that shows the differences.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Rastoff/ammo_pattern_spread.gif
  12. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

me either!
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This is exactly right. And a good example is special purpose Turkey shotguns. they rarely have longer than 20" barrels and yet they shoot the tightest patterns of any other shotgun.

I cut my 870 back to 19" and had the barrel re-reamed and threaded for the rem chokes. I run a jellyhead ported Turkey tube and a 2 rd mag tube extension. It is one of my fav clay pidgeon guns and can bust em 50 yds out or more.
  14. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Alas, lasers are also illegal.

Actually my weapon collection is built up from a survivalist perspective, not strictly home defense. In the latter case, you'd indeed be better off choosing a corner and sticking to it. However, the scenario I'm envisioning is a total collapse of society, due to shortages of basic supplies (food, drinkable water) or natural disasters. In this case, staying on the move and living a nomadic life would require you to be able to move around while armed.
  15. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

oh man....

good thinking... if you can't bug in.. you gotta bug out..
  16. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And in a situation like that are the authorities really gonna care if you take a hacksaw to your shotgun??
  17. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

No, but then again society hasn't collapsed yet; and the government regularly and unexpectedly sends g-men to check out if gun owners arsenals are still legally OK. We're all blacklisted by default.

Anyhoo, I just visited the gun shop and picked my Glock 19. Also, I ordered the correct shotgun. I guess I'll just try to sell this other one.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  18. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

This seams so backwards. You can have a Glock 19 but not an extra barrel for your shotgun? In the US the reciever is the gun everything else stocks, barrels whatever is just extra stuff and can be swapped at will.
  19. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Now that would make sense- Belgian miilitary could be mandatory draft of all physically and mentally fit males and after basic training take the weapon HOME and be assigned a defense postion near his home till he is what in Switzerland 65? Nah it would not work to many urban areas, few landowners, and what losts of folks moving around for jobs or to other Euro countries for work. How many commute daily to France or the Netherlands for work??:)