Remington 870 Express Synthetic 28" Question

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by MentalParadox, Sep 30, 2012.

1. jce07a

jce07a New Member

depending on your intended purposes (bird hunting, sporting clays, skeet, trap, etc.) an 18 inch barrel compared to a 26 or 28 inch barrel isnt going to make a whole lot of difference. if you're claiming it as a "sporting rifle" on your paperwork and are actually going to use it in your home then i can see a possible complaint about the extra 10 inches but otherwise it isnt going to make much difference. despite what hollywood says, shortening the barrel isnt going to expand your shot spread dramatically...not movie dramatic anyways. the spread can be more effected by your choke. here is an example chart that shows the differences.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/recent/Rastoff/ammo_pattern_spread.gif
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

me either!
  3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

This is exactly right. And a good example is special purpose Turkey shotguns. they rarely have longer than 20" barrels and yet they shoot the tightest patterns of any other shotgun.

I cut my 870 back to 19" and had the barrel re-reamed and threaded for the rem chokes. I run a jellyhead ported Turkey tube and a 2 rd mag tube extension. It is one of my fav clay pidgeon guns and can bust em 50 yds out or more.
  4. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

Alas, lasers are also illegal.

Actually my weapon collection is built up from a survivalist perspective, not strictly home defense. In the latter case, you'd indeed be better off choosing a corner and sticking to it. However, the scenario I'm envisioning is a total collapse of society, due to shortages of basic supplies (food, drinkable water) or natural disasters. In this case, staying on the move and living a nomadic life would require you to be able to move around while armed.
  5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

oh man....

good thinking... if you can't bug in.. you gotta bug out..
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

And in a situation like that are the authorities really gonna care if you take a hacksaw to your shotgun??
  7. MentalParadox

MentalParadox New Member

No, but then again society hasn't collapsed yet; and the government regularly and unexpectedly sends g-men to check out if gun owners arsenals are still legally OK. We're all blacklisted by default.

Anyhoo, I just visited the gun shop and picked my Glock 19. Also, I ordered the correct shotgun. I guess I'll just try to sell this other one.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  8. RYANINMICHIGAN

RYANINMICHIGAN New Member

This seams so backwards. You can have a Glock 19 but not an extra barrel for your shotgun? In the US the reciever is the gun everything else stocks, barrels whatever is just extra stuff and can be swapped at will.
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Now that would make sense- Belgian miilitary could be mandatory draft of all physically and mentally fit males and after basic training take the weapon HOME and be assigned a defense postion near his home till he is what in Switzerland 65? Nah it would not work to many urban areas, few landowners, and what losts of folks moving around for jobs or to other Euro countries for work. How many commute daily to France or the Netherlands for work??:)