Remington 870 Express Tactical Ammo

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by this_is_nascar, Mar 23, 2011.

1. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar New Member

I just picked up my 1st ever shotgun, a new Remington Model 870 Express Tactical. Its primary duty will be home-defense in a small, rancher style, home. Secondarily, I'll take it to the range (25-yards maximum distance in length) to shoot at some targets and get the feel of the gun.

What type of ammo do you recommend for each usage? The range only allows BUCK and SLUG.

From what I've read so far, SLUG would be best at the range and there's a pretty big debate as far as SLUG vs. BUCK for home-defense. Regardless, what type/brand of each do you use and recommend? I'm thinking to stay with the 2 3/4" ammo and hold off on any 3" ammo.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
  2. MagShooter49

MagShooter49 New Member

For home defense, I would use #4 Buck. 00Buck and Slugs will go through many sheets of sheetrock endangering others in your house. At the range either will function for your purpose.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I have 00 buck in my shotgun for my house. I don't have anyone living in any other bedrooms (just my wife and me in the house), so I'm not worried about overpenetration.

I have slugs in one of those shell-holder "sleeves" on the buttstock. If I need to shoot more than about 25 yards (which I really doubt), one of those can be stuck into the mag tube, pump it once, and I'm good out to 100 yards or so.

Your range use should be whatever you plan to use for the house. Get comfortable practicing with what you plan to use.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

5. this_is_nascar

Thanks again everyone.
  6. bamashooter

bamashooter New Member

I have alot of slugs and some 3.5'' 00 buck, but for home defense I shoot #4 buckshot. The 3.5'' 00 buck is some of the most ferocious ammo I have ever shot and kicks like a missouri mule. Slugs would be my second choice.
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Two weeks ago I tested several types of 12-ga ammo at the range to answer this very question for myself. 00 buck, #4 buck, slugs, even some birdshot. I had purchased a box of Winchester PDX1 ammo at someone's recommendation, and completely decimated a pile of milk jugs at 25 feet (which is about the longest open space in my house). I was impressed.

"Tested by the FBI to see if it can stand up to real world, life threatening situations, this ammunition has impressive expansion and notable velocities at various ranges thanks to Winchester's proprietary bonding process. In PDX1 ammunition, Winchester engineers have created a self defense load that exhibits controlled expansion and a higher weight retention. In addition to the 3 pellets of Grex buffered 00 buckshot, this load also features a 1 oz rifled slug which creates a tight pattern for extra protection. Loaded in black hulls with a black oxide high-base."

It's not the ammo you want to shoot at the range, as it runs over a dollar per, but it's what's loaded in my 12-ga. Available at Dick's, etc.

Attached Files:

8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Was just looking at some of that ammo the other day Juker. Ive gotta get me some of that!
  9. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

#4 or 00 Buck. This will make the bad guy as dead as he can get, every single time.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2011
  10. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Well isn't that an accurate commentary on Americans as a whole. A lot of sheep that look like humans in this country.

The only thing some of these designer rounds have as an advantage over 00 Buck is effective range. And unless they are packed consistently so that slug can hit accurately out to 50 yards and beyond, they don't really even offer that. I haven't bothered to test them, because I'm very happy with the cheapest (Winchester Super-X) 00 I can find.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  11. Juker

Juker New Member

This FREE man was doing exactly that - if you had bothered to read my post, you would have quickly seen that I was shooting various types of ammo to see if the PDX1 held up to its claims. It did, and more. And I don't know of any celebrity endorsements of this ammunition, and if there were, I wouldn't care. I'm the most discerning consumer on the planet.

This post has been heavily edited to keep me from being booted off the forum.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  12. this_is_nascar

Let's not get into any pissing contests folks. I'm just a newbie asking questions about ammo for my new gun. No need to start bickering, as I'm finding everyone's thoughts and opinions are helping me decide.
  13. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Calm down, folks -
    Everyone has their own opinion.
    And you know the old saying about opinions -

As for Juker, I believe he gave a good report on an ammo test, and should be thanked for it.
  14. this_is_nascar

The more I'm reading about varios ammo, the more I'm getting confused. For example, I just read this in the description of some ammo.

Designed specifically for smooth bore barrels but can also be used in rifled choke tube barrels or fully rifled barrels.

Is this something I need to be concerned over? I've read the specs that I could find about my Remington 870 Express Tactical and didn't see anything specific about the barrel.
  15. MagShooter49

MagShooter49 New Member

The barrel on your tactical gun is going to be smooth bore with fixed cylinder choke, unless there is some wierd tactical choke system that I am unaware of that they are putting in them.