The Firearms Forum banner

Remington 870 for clays

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Jackman 
#1 ·
Thinking about a Remington 870 for clays, 28 inch barrel , wood stocks, flat matte finish 279 dollars, the sales man says the 870 is popular with the clay shooters and also says the black matte finish rust very easy , the Mossberg 500 is my second choice but that wobbly forward stock really is a turn off. Any opinions?

#5 ·
I'm a huge fan of my 870 express, 28" barrel, flat black, I would buy another if I was to get a deal on it, it was my first clay gun and its my favorite, it'll wear you out, but shooting all day will wear anyone out at first. The 1100 is a good auto loader, been around for 40 years or so I think. I've seen them in my area locally comparitive in price but usually priced above good 870s.

#6 ·
Nothing wrong with the 870. Not like your shooting heavy loads at skeet or for fun matchs - sporting clays. That 1100 will set you back some bucks. BUY USED if you can. Look for a nice older 870 with changeable choke tubes, even a well use but taken care of shotgun will be fine. You don't really want the newest versions. Older ones are simple smoother and that makes for a better working shotgun. Same goes for the mossy 500. Old ones run very fluid. The express- just get some brakefree clp and when not useing it give it a good heavy coat for a few times and let it sit that way. It does soak in after a while and will control any moisture with just normal serviceing. Also does not wipe off or dry up like some oils. Allways a little left behind.

#7 ·
My son loves his 870. We shoot trap every week end. He has a remington 1100 trap but still likes his 870 more. I have a mossberg 535 that I was using for trap and never had any issues with it. Both have thousands of rounds through them with no issues.

I now have a ruger red label over under but still shoot the mossberg every so often.

#10 ·
Well I bought the 870 Express :), its a nice looking firearm lamenated stocks with nice pattern :), feels right and the action also feels good and tight too :cool:, the flat matte finish :bleh: will take some getting used to right now I wish it was regular bluing, havent fired it yet but we will have at some clays this weekend:D

#12 ·
but shooting a perfect round with a pump is just more satisfying!

O/U is the only real 'serious shooter' option for skeet though, auto's jam and pumps, well, ya gotta pump them which detracts just a bit from getting onto your second target on doubles. But it can be done no matter what you use if you practice well enough.

There's the old saying, 'beware of the man with only one gun, for he knows how to use it very well!'

the 870 is a fine workhorse that fills many roles, that's why I own three! Just hands down the best 'standard' shotgun out there IMO

#13 ·
Geez you guys are tough :rolleyes:, yeah I know the 870 is not the best, we shoot for fun nothing serious just fun , the 870 with rebate is 300 dollars not bad compared to a low end O/U that start at 599 dollars........ I have 100 rds and 90 clays tomorro if the rain holds off we have fun yepeeeeeeee;)

#14 ·
remington 1100 or 1187 great all around guns for clays and hunting if you wanted to go that route... by me dicks had the 1187 on sale for about 599

#15 ·
I have plans to have a Remington 1100 at some point , we shot 100 rds today first time shooting clays at a official trap and skeet range it was a blast we hit a lot and missed a lot but did way better than we did with my single shot Savage it was a good day 130 clays tossed cost 48 dollars :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.